The University of Minnesota men’s tennis team defeated Purdue University 6-1 today at the Baseline Tennis Center in a team effort.
The Golden Gophers swept all three doubles matches and took five of the six singles matches to improve their record to 6-16 (4-6 Big Ten). The Boilermakers dropped their record to 8-14 (2-8 Big Ten).
It was a team effort as every Gopher who competed today won a match. Dino Bilankov and Sebastian Gallego started the scoring for Minnesota as they took their No. 1 doubles match 8-6 against Eric Ramos and P.J. Hill of Purdue.
Tobias Wernet and his partner Chi-Lang Pham finished next at the No. 2 doubles with a score of 8-3, which was followed by a victory at the No. 3 doubles from Raoul Schwark and Pierre Dumas (8-3).
In the singles matches, Dumas took his No. 6 match 6-1, 6-2 to win both his doubles and singles match. Wernet followed Dumas’ lead of winning both his singles and doubles matches by winning the No. 2 singles 6-1, 6-3.
Gallego also won his No. 3 singles match 6-1, 6-3 and Pham followed with a victory at the No. 5 singles 6-3, 6-3, which gave both of them victories in their doubles and singles matches.
Bilankov was the only Gopher not to gain a victory in his singles match as he lost a close No. 4 match 5-7, 4-6 to Ramos.
Schwark ended the dual with a 7-6, 6-3 victory at the No. 1 singles to give him a victory in both his singles and doubles matches.
Both teams will head to the Big Ten Championships April 24-27 at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa. The Gophers finish eighth in the Big Ten regular season standings and most likely will receive the No. 8 seed. The Gophers will face either the University of Michigan, the University of Illinois or the University of Wisconsin, depending on today’s results.
Minnesota 6, Purdue 1
1. Dino Bilankov/ Sesbastian Gallego (MINN) def. Eric Ramos/P.J. Rose (PUR) 8-6
2. Tobias Wernet/ Chi-Lang Pham (MINN) def. Slavko Bijelica/ Eren Turkmenler (PUR) 8-3
3. Raoul Schwark/ Pierre Dumas (MINN) def. Jose Fuemayor/ Giff Nienberg (PUR) 8-3
1. Schwark (MINN) def. Branko Kuzmanovic (PUR) 7-6, 6-3
2. Wernet (MINN) def. Bijelica (PUR) 6-1, 6-3
3. Gallego (MINN) def. Rose (PUR) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ramos (PUR) def. Bilankov (MINN) 7-5, 6-4
5. Pham (MINN) def. Nienberg (PUR) 6-3, 6-3
6. Dumas (MINN) def. Turkmenler (PUR) 6-1, 6-2
Purdue 8-14 (2-8)
Minnesota 6-16 (4-6)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6, 2, 3, 5, 4, 1)