The 55th-ranked University of Minnesota men's tennis team fell victim to a 5-2 upset today to No. 62 Penn State today in State College, Pa. The Nittany Lions lost the doubles point, but went 5-1 in singles play to drop the Golden Gophers to 4-4 in the Big Ten (7 -11 overall).
The Maroon and Gold opened the dual on a positve note, winning the doubles point for the first time since upsetting Rice on April 10. Sion Wilkins and Mikey Kantar made quick work of Michael James and Chris Sherman in an 8-1 rout. After an 8-2 loss at No. 2, the doubles point came down to No. 1. The point lead bounced back and forth the whole match and finally went into a tie-breaker. The tie-breaker would show the same results as the rest of the match and go back and forth throughout. Finally, on the last point of the match, Minnesota's Adrien Debreyne and D.J. Geatz made a solid shot and closed out the doubles point with a 9-8 (5) win over Mark Barry and Malcolm Scatliffe.
In singles action, Penn State wasted no time in taking the lead. Ryan Berger upended Nic Edlefsen began the comeback at No. 3 with a 6-3, 6-0 victory to tie the dual at 1-1. The Nittany Lions then racked up two more wins at Nos. 5 and 6 to come within one point of clinching the match. Penn State grabbed the clinching win at No. 2 with Scatliffe downing D.J. Geatz, 6-3, 7-6 (4). With the match tied in the second set, the Nittany Lions were pushed to a tie-breaker once again. Scatliffe took the early tie-breaker lead 4-2 and never looked back.
The Golden Gophers picked up their only singles win of the day at No. 4 as Raoul Schwark defeated Bradley Hunter, 6-2, 6-1. At No. 1, Debreyen nearly gained his second consecutive win over a ranked opponents, but PSU's 96th-ranked Mark Barry prevailed, 6 -4, 6-7 (5), 6-3.
The Maroon and Gold returns home next weekend to close out the regular season at home vs. Illinois and Purdue on April 23 and 24.
#55 Minnesota at #62 Penn State
April 17, 2005
State College, Pa.
1. #96 Mark Barry (PSU) def. Adrien Debreyne (MN), 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-3
2. Malcolm Scatliffe (PSU) def. D.J. Geatz (MN), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
3. Ryan Berger (PSU) def. Nic Edlefsen (MN), 6-3, 6-0
4. Raoul Schwark (MN) def. Bradley Hunter (PSU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Michael James (PSU) def. Brian Lipinski (MN), 6-1, 6-3
6. James Dwyer (PSU) def. Sion Wilkins (MN), 6-2, 6-2
1. Debreyne/Geatz (MN) def. Scatliffe/Barry (PSU), 9-8 (5)
2. Hunter/Berger (PSU) def. Edlefsen/Schwark (MN), 8-2
3. Wilkins/Mikey Kantar (MN) def. Sherman/James (PSU), 8-1
#62 Penn State def. #55 Minnesota, 5-2