The University of Minnesota men's tennis team was defeated by 10th-ranked Illinois on Sunday afternoon despite a trio of Golden Gopher upsets. Minnesota drops to 10-10 overall and 5-4 in the Big Ten.
Minnesota got off to a strong start as 52nd-ranked Harsh Mankad upset No. 20 Graydon Oliver at No. 1 singles in three sets, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3. Jorge Duenas followed Mankad's upset with a straight-set upset of No. 59 Phil Stolt at No. 2 singles, 6-4, 7-5. The Fighting Illini recovered and earned victories in the four other singles matches.
Illinois captured the doubles point with two victories in the three matches, but Mankad and Duenas pulled off the biggest upset of the day. The duo defeated the nation's top-ranked doubles team of Oliver and Amer Delic by a score of 8-6.
Minnesota closes out the home portion of its schedule next Friday vs. Iowa. The match begins at 6 p.m. at the 98th Street Racquet Club in Bloomington, Minn.
No. 10 ILLINOIS 5, No. 44 MINNESOTA 2
1. No. 52 Harsh Mankad (MINN) def. No. 20 Graydon Oliver (ILL), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. Jorge Duenas (MINN) def. No. 59 Phil Stolt (ILL), 6-4, 7-5
3. Amer Delic (ILL) def. Jon Svensson (MINN), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Mike Kosta (ILL) def. Aleksey Zharinov (MINN. 6-3, 6-0
5. Michael Calkins (ILL) def. Chris Wettengel (MINN), 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Nathan Zeder (ILL) def. Eric Robertson (MINN), 6-2, 6-4
1. Harsh Mankad/Jorge Duenas (MINN) def. No. 1 Graydon Oliver/Amer Delic (ILL), 8-6
2. Jamal Parker/Phil Stolt (ILL) def. Tyson Parry/Jon Svensson (MINN), 8-5
3. Mike Kosta/Michael Calkins (ILL) def. Eric Robertson/Chris Wettengel (MINN), 8-5