Minnesota had its three-match winning streak snapped as Wisconsin posted a 7-0 sweep of the Gophers in a Big Ten men’s tennis match on Sunday in Madison, Wis.
The Gophers won the first set in two of the six singles matches, but Wisconsin rallied to win both as the 32nd-ranked Badgers improved to 15-8 overall and 7-2 in the Big Ten. Minnesota is now 5-15 overall and 3-5 in the conference.
Wisconsin took all three doubles matches to grab a 1-0 lead with Dino Bilankov and Sebastian Gallego battling to a 9-7 defeat at No. 1.
The Gophers’ Dino Bilankov jumped all over Jeremy Sonkin with a 6-1, 4-1 lead in the second set, but Sonkin took over from that point and won the match 1-6, 7-5, 6-3. Tobias Wernet also won the first set of his match against 100th-ranked Nolan Polley, but Polley came back for a 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 triumph.
Raoul Schwark, ranked 88th nationally, lost to the nation’s 44th-ranked player, Moritz Baumann, 6-0, 6-4 in the featured match at No. 1.
The Gophers return home to conclude the season with duals against Illinois on Friday at 3 p.m. and against Purdue on Sunday at noon at the Baseline Tennis Center.
#32 Wisconsin 7, Minnesota 0
1. #44 Moritz Baumann (WIS) def. #88 Raoul Schwark (MINN) 6-0, 6-4
2. #100 Nolan Polley (WIS) def. Tobias Wernet (MINN) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
3. Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. Sebastian Gallego (MINN) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Jeremy Sonkin (WIS) def. Dino Bilankov (MINN) 1-6, 7-5, 6-3
5. Felipe Bellido (WIS) def. Chi-Lang Pham (MINN) 6-4, 6-1
6. Luke Rassow-Kantor (WIS) def. Pierre Dumas (MINN) 6-3, 6-2
1. Moritz Baumann/Nolan Polley (WIS) def. Dino Bilankov/Sebastian Gallego (MINN) 9-7
2. Michael Dierberger/Luke Rassow-Kantor (WIS) def. Tobias Wernet/Chi-Lang Pham (MINN) 8-5
3. Marek Michalicka/Jeremy Sonkin (WIS) def. Pierre Dumas/Raoul Schwark (MINN) 8-5
Minnesota 5-15, 3-5 Big Ten
Wisconsin 15-8, 7-2 Big Ten; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,6,5,3,4,2)