Brendan Ruddock won a pair of tiebreakers in the final two sets to clinch Minnesota's 4-3 win over Indiana on Sunday in Bloomington, Ind.
Ruddock lost his opening set to Will Kendall 7-5, but came back to win a second-set tiebreaker 7-3. With the team victory riding on his third set, Ruddock prevailed 7-5 in a tiebreaker for the thrilling victory. Minnesota, ranked 39th in the country, avenged a loss to the Hoosiers in last year's Big Ten quarterfinals and improved to 10-8 overall and 3-3 in the Big Ten. Indiana, ranked 41st nationally, is also 3-3 in the Big Ten and fell to 11-6 overall.
Indiana swept all three doubles matches to take the doubles point and then got a win from Santiago Gruter at No. 4 singles to build a 2-0 advantage. Gruter beat Minnesota's Dino Bilankov 6-3, 6-1.
Phillip Arndt started the Gophers' rally with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Isade Juneau at No. 5. Sebastian Gallego followed with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Lachlan Ferguson at No. 1 and Rok Bonin gave Minnesota a 3-2 lead with a his 6-2, 7-6 triumph over Josh MacTaggart at No. 3.
Minnesota only needed to win one of the two remaining matches to take the team victory, but lost the first set in both matches. However, Tobias Wernet and Ruddock each rallied with second-set wins to force third sets. Wernet lost to Jeremy Langer 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 at No. 2 to set up Ruddock's clinching victory.
The Gophers return home for their final home weekend of the season, starting Friday against Northwestern at 3 p.m. at the Baseline Tennis Center.
#39 Minnesota 4, #41 Indiana 3
1. #66 Sebastian Gallego (MINN) def. Lachlan Ferguson (IND) 7-5, 6-1
2. Jeremy Langer (IND) def. #105 Tobias Wernet (MINN) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
3. Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Josh MacTaggart (IND) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
4. Santiago Gruter (IND) def. Dino Bilankov (MINN) 6-3, 6-1
5. Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Isade Juneau (IND) 6-2, 6-2
6. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) def. Will Kendall (IND) 5-7, 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-5)
1. Lachlan Ferguson/Josh MacTaggart (IND) def. #27 Phillip Arndt/Sebastian Gallego (MINN) 8-2
2. Santiago Gruter/Jeremy Langer (IND) def. Tobias Wernet/Rok Bonin (MINN) 8-4
3. Isade Juneau/Alexander van Gils (IND) def. Dino Bilankov/Julian Dehn (MINN) 8-7 (7-4)
Minnesota 10-8, 3-3 Big Ten; National ranking #39
Indiana 11-6, 3-3 Big Ten; National ranking #41
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,5,1,3,2,6)