The 36th-ranked University of Minnesota men's tennis team moved its Big Ten record to 3-3 today with a 4-3 win over Iowa at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis. The Golden Gophers (13-6) led the entire dual, going 3-0 in doubles and 3-3 in singles to post their ninth consecutive win over the Hawkeyes (7-9, 0-6 Big Ten).
The Maroon and Gold opened the afternoon with a three-match sweep in doubles play. Minnesota got on the board at No. 2 with Mikey Kantar and Raoul Schwark's 8-3 win over Walker Grimes and Gregory Holm before clinching the early 1-0 lead with Andres Osorio and Chi Pham's 8-5 victory over Christian Bierich and Reinoud Haal at No. 3. The Golden Gophers completed the sweep at No. 1 when Nich Edlefsen and Sion Wilkins came from behind to upset 50th-ranked J.P. Ritchie and Bart van Monsjou, 8-7 (0). With the win, Edlefsen and Wilkins earned their first dual win of the season as a duo.
Minnesota picked up the team win with a 3-3 showing in singles action. The Golden Gophers pushed their lead to 2-0 with Edlefsen's 6-2, 6-3 win over Bierich at No. 3 before Iowa cut the lead to one with Tommy McGeorge's 6-4, 6-4 triumph over Kantar. Wilkins then re-gained the two-point lead at No. 6 with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Patrick Dwyer.
After a D.J. Geatz default to Haal at No. 4 to make it 3-2, 73rd-ranked Schwark clinched the team victory with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Ritchie at No. 2. With the win, Schwark improved to 13-5 this spring, posting his 10th win in the last 11 matches. The dual wrapped up at No. 1 with van Monsjou's 6-1, 7-5 triumph over Osorio.
The Golden Gophers wrap up their home schedule this weekend with matches against Northwestern and Wisconsin on Friday and Sunday, April 13 and 15, respectively.
#36 Minnesota vs. Iowa
April 11, 2007
Baseline Tennis Center
1. Bart van Monsjou (Iowa) def. Andres Osorio (MINN), 6-1, 7-5
2. #73 Raoul Schwark (MINN) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa), 6-2, 7-5
3. Nich Edlefsen (MINN) def. Christian Bierich (Iowa), 6-2, 6-3
4. Reinoud Haal (Iowa) def. D.J. Geatz (MINN), 3-6, 6-4, def.
5. Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) def. Mikey Kantar (MINN), 6-4, 6-4
6. Sion Wilkins (MINN) def. Patrick Dwyer (Iowa), 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 3,5,6,4,2,1
1. Edlefsen/Wilkins (MINN) def. #50 Ritchie/van Monsjou (Iowa), 8-7 (0)
2. Kantar/Schwark (MINN) def. Walker Grimes/Gregory Holm (Iowa), 8-3
3. Osorio/Chi Pham (MINN) def. Bierich/Haal (Iowa), 8-5
Order of finish: 2,3,1
#36 Minnesota def. Iowa, 4-3