The No. 20 Minnesota men's tennis team rebounded from its first home loss of the season with a thrilling 4-3 win against No. 64 Purdue this afternoon at Baseline Tennis Center. The Gophers suffered a 4-3 home setback to No. 27 Indiana on Friday. In addition to being the team's first home loss of the season, it was also their first Big Ten loss and ended a five-match winning streak.
On Sunday, Minnesota won all three doubles matches and earned three victories in singles as it improved to 14-3 on the season (5-1 in the Big Ten). Purdue is now 10-11 this year and falls to 1-6 in Big Ten play.
Brendan Ruddock and Phillip Arndt won 8-5 at No. 1 doubles against Eric Ramos and Krisztian Krocsko, while Julian Dehn and Rok Bonin won the by the same score versus Pawel Poziomski and Szymon Tatarczyk at the second position. Tobias Wernet and Juan Pablo Ramirez defeated Aaron Dujovne and Mark Kovacs 8-3 at No. 3 doubles.
The Gophers took a 1-0 lead into singles play where Wernet downed Tatarczyk 6-2, 6-3 at No. 1 singles and Ruddock beat Krocsko 6-3, 7-6 at the third position. The Boilermakers earned wins at second, fourth and fifth singles to tie the match at 3-3 with Michael Sicora and Poziomski still playing at No. 6 singles. Sicora outlasted his Purdue foe 7-5, 3-6, 6-4 to clinch the win for the Gophers.
Minnesota finishes its four-match homestand and concludes its home regular season next week against Penn State and third-ranked Ohio State.
April 10, 2011
Baseline Tennis Center
No. 20 Minnesota 4, No. 64 Purdue 3
1. Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. Szymon Tatarczyk 6-2, 6-3
2. Mark Kovacs (PURDUE) def. Rok Bonin (MINN) 7-6, 3-6, 6-2
3. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) def. Krisztian Krocsko 6-3,7-6
4. Aaron Dujovna (PURDUE) def. Phillip Arndt (MINN) 7-6, 6-1
5. Eric Ramos (PURDUE) def. Julian Dehn (MINN) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6
6. Michael Sicora (MINN) def. Pawel Poziomski (PURDUE) 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
1. Brendan Ruddock/Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Eric Ramos/Krisztian Krocsko (PURDUE) 8-5
2. Julian Dehn/Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Pawel Poziomski/Szymon Tatarczyk (PURDUE) 8-5
3. Tobias Wernet/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Aaron Dujovne/Mark Kovacs (PURDUE) 8-3