The 40th-ranked University of Minnesota men's tennis team pushed its winning streak to four matches today with a 5-2 victory over Wisconsin in Madison, Wis. The Golden Gophers (11-9, 5-1 Big Ten) went 2-1 in doubles play and 4-2 in singles action to win for the seventh time in the last eight duals.
The Badgers (9-9, 2-5) opened doubles play with 55th-ranked Nolan Polley and Jeremy Sonkin's 8-3 win over Adrien Debreyne and Raoul Schwark at No. 1. The Maroon and Gold responded with wins at No. 2 and 3 to take the doubles point. D.J. Geatz and Nic Edlefsen gained UM's first win with ther 8-5 triumph over Elliott Bisnow and Brennen Phippen at No. 3. Andres Osorio and Sion Wilkins clinched the doubles point at No. 2 with a 9-8 (1) win over Felipe Bellido and Lachezar Kasarov. The Minnesota duo is now 3-3 in conference matches.
In singles play, Minnesota pushed its lead to 2-0 with Debreyne's 6-1, 6-1 win over Phippen at No. 4. Bucky then got on the board at No. 2 with Polley upending Osorio, 6-4, 6-2. The Golden Gophers picked up straight-set wins at Nos. 6, 5 and 3 to earn the team victory. At No. 6, Wilkins improved to 3-1 in Big Ten action with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Gian Hodgson. Schwark clinched the team win at No. 5 with his 6-3, 6-4 victory over Bellido. Edlefsen, ranked 12st in the nation, wrapped up Minnesota's wins on the afternoon with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Kasarov at No. 3. Rounding out the dual was Sonkin's 7-6 (6), 7-6 (9) upset of 59th-ranked Geatz at No. 1.
The Golden Gophers round out their 2006 regular season home schedule next weekend with duals against Penn State and Indiana on April 14 and 15, respectively, at the Baseline Tennis Center.
#40 Minnesota at Wisconsin
April 9, 2006
1. Jeremy Sonkin (UW) def. #60 D.J. Geatz (MN), 7-6 (6), 7-6 (9)
2. Nolan Polley (UW) def. Andres Osorio (MN), 6-4, 6-2
3. #121 Nic Edlefsen (MN) def. Lachezar Kasarov (UW), 6-3, 6-2
4. Adrien Debreyne (MN) def. Brennen Phippen (UW), 6-1, 6-1
5. Raoul Schwark (MN) def. Felipe Bellido (UW), 6 -3, 6-4
6. Sion Wilkins (MN) def. Gian Hodgson (UW), 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish: 4,2,6,5,3,1
1. #55 Polley/Sonkin (UW) def. Debreyne/Schwark (UM) 8-3
2. Osorio/Wilkins (MN) def. Bellido/Kasarov (UW), 9-8 (1)
3. Geatz/Edlefsen (MN) def. Elliott Bisnow/Phippen (UW), 8-5
Order of finish: 1,3,2
#40 Minnesota def. Wisconsin, 5-2