GopheThe University of Minnesota men's tennis team lost a 4-3 nailbiter to No. 64 Northwestern today at the Baseline Tennis Center, falling to 3-3 in the Big Ten this season. The 57th-ranked Golden Gophers fell behind early, 2-0 after dropping the doubles point and at #4 singles, but the Gophers battled back to tie the dual up 3-3 with singles wins from Ticer, Geatz, and Lipinski.
Despite the loss, Minnesota's Avery Ticer continued his strong play winning at his usual #1 singles spot. With the win Ticer is now 11-2 in Big Ten duals and showed no ill effects of the sore knee that kept him out of yesterday's match against Wisconsin.
Northwestern opened the day with a 2-1 mark in doubles play to gain the 1-0 team lead. After a 8-4 loss at No. 3, Minnesota's Raoul Schwark and Nic Edlefsen forced a deciding match with their 8-6 win over the Wildcat's Adam Schaechterle and Justin Hoeveler. UM's No. 1 duo of Avery Ticer and D.J. Geatz battled back after being down early but dropped the match 8-5 to Tommy Hanus and Chuck Perrin.
The Gophers retaliated in the singles portion as Minnesota won three of the first five matches. Minnesota jumped ahead 3-2 after Brian Lipinski downed Adam Schaechterle on the #5 court 6-4, 6-4. The Wildcats tied the match back up 3-3 after a victory from Matt Christian over Mikey Kantar 6-4, 6-2 at #6 singles.
Northwestern sealed the team win when Chuck Perrin knocked off Nic Edlefsen 6-3, 6-7, 6-4 at #3 singles. The last match of the day Edlefsen appeared to have all of the momentum after a beautiful backhand with his back to the net, but couldn't hold on to the lead.
The Golden Gophers next match is Sunday, April 10th at 11 a.m., against #30 ranked Rice at the Baseline Tennis Center.
#57 Minnesota vs. #64 Northwestern
April 9, 2005
Baseline Tennis Center
1. #34 Avery Ticer (MN) def. Tommy Hanus (NW), 6-3, 6-3
2. D.J. Geatz (MN) def. Christian Tempke (NW), 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
3. Chuck Perrin (NW) def. Nic Edlefsen (MN), 6-3, 6-7, 6-4
4. Willy Lock (NW) def. Raoul Schwark (MN), 6-4, 6-4
5. Brian Lipinksi (MN) def. Adam Schaechterle (NW), 6-4, 6-4
6. Matt Christian (NW) def. Mikey Kantar (MN) 6-4, 6-2
1. Hanus/Perrin (NW) def. Ticer/Geatz (MN), 8-5
2. Schwark/Edlefsen (MN) def. Schaechterle/Justin Hoeveler (NW), 8-6
3. Tempke/Lock (NW) def. Kantar/Sion Wilkins (MN), 8-4
#64 Northwestern def. #57 Minnesota, 4-3