The 52nd-ranked University of Minnesota upset 29th-ranked Michigan, 5-2, today at the Varsity Tennis Center in Ann Arbor, Mich. The Golden Gophers (8-9, 2-1 Big Ten) went 2 -1 in doubles play and 4-2 in singles action to win for the fourth time in the last five matches.
In tightly-played doubles matches, the Maroon and Gold claimed two wins to capture its first doubles point since March 15 at St. Mary's (CA). After Michigan's eighth-ranked duo of Brian Hung and Matko Maravic edged Adrien Debreyne and Raoul Schwark, 8-6, at No. 1, Minnesota rallied with two close wins. At No. 3, Nic Edlefsen and D.J. Geatz win their first match as a doubles duo with an 8-5 victory over Peter Aarts and Steve Peretz. Andres Osorio and Sion Wilkins clinched the early 1-0 lead with their 9-8 (1) triumph over Ryan Heller and Andrew Mazlin at No. 2.
The Golden Gophers cruised to the team win with four victories in singles play. Debreyne made quick work of Mazlin at No. 4 with a 6-1, 6-4 triumph to win for the fifth time in his last seven matches. After a Wolverine win at No. 6, Osorio made the score 3-1 with his 6 -3, 6-4 victory over Hung at No. 2. The win was Osorio's first of the Big Ten season.
Schwark clinched the Minnesota team triumph at No. 5 with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Peretz. Schwark is undefeated in conference matches this season at 3-0. After Heller upeneded 114th-ranked Edlefsen at No. 2, 60th-ranked Geatz returned the favor with a 7-5, 6-4, 1 -0 (10-8) win over 47th-ranked Maravic at No. 1. Geatz is now 9-8 this spring, including a 2-1 mark in league play.
The Golden Gophers stay on the road to take on Michigan State tomorrow at noon in East Lansing, Mich.
#52 Minnesota at #29 Michigan
April 1, 2006
Varisty Tennis Center
Ann Arbor, Mich.
1. #60 D.J. Geatz (MN) def. #47 Matko Maravic (MI), 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Andres Osorio (MN) def. Brian Hung (MI), 6-3, 6-4
3. Ryan Heller (MI) def. #114 Nic Edlefsen (MN), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Adrien Debreyne (MN) def. Andrew Mazlin (MI), 6-1, 6-4
5. Raoul Schwark (MN) def. Steve Peretz (MI), 6-3, 6-2
6. Peter Aarts (MI) def. Mikey Kantar (MN), 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 4,6,2,5,3,1
1. #8 Hung/Maravic (MI) def. Debreyne/Schwark (MN), 8-6
2. Osorio/Sion Wilkins (MN) def. Heller/Mazlin (MI), 9-8 (1)
3. Edlefsen/Geatz (MN) def. Aarts/Peretz (MI), 8-5
Order of finish: 1,3,2
#52 Minnesota def. #29 Michigan, 5-2