An impressive comeback in doubles play sparked the University of Minnesota men's tennis team to a 5-2 victory over 56th-ranked Michigan tonight at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis, Minn. The 60th-ranked Golden Gophers' top doubles duo was trailing 5-2, but rallied to win 9-8 in a marathon tiebreaker to give Minnesota (3-9, 2-1 Big Ten) some momentum heading into singles action. From there, the Maroon and Gold cruised to the win with a 4-2 mark in singles matches.
After an 8-1 loss at No. 2 doubles, Raoul Schwark and Nic Edlefsen dispatched of David Anving and Vinny Gossain, 8-2, to force the deciding match at No. 1. Minnesota's Avery Ticer and Adrien Debreyne dug themselves a 5-2 hole against 43rd- ranked Brian Hung and Matko Maravic, but rallied to take a 7-6 lead. The two squads then battled to an 8-8 tie with the Golden Gopher duo prevailing, 10-8, in the tiebreaker to win, 9-8 and give Minnesota the early team lead.
The Maroon and Gold clinched the dual win with three straight-set victories at Nos. 5, 1 and 3 singles. D.J. Geatz got Minnesota started at No. 5 with his 6-2, 6-2 win over Steve Peretz. At No. 1, 35th-ranked Ticer won his first set, 6-4, got down 4-1 in the second, but rallied with five unanswered games to down No. 81 Maravic, 6-4, 6-4. The Golden Gophers grabbed the team win with Andres Osorio's 7-5, 6-1 triumph over Ryan Heller.
Debreyne made it 5-0 for the Maroon and Gold with his 6-4, 4-6, (10-5) win over David Anving at No. 4 singles. The Wolverines (10-8, 3-1 Big Ten) picked up wins at Nos. 2 and 6 for their only victories of the night.
The Golden Gophers continue their five-match homestand on Sunday, April 3, with a dual against No. 72 Michigan State at 12 p.m., at the Baseline Tennis Center.
#60 Minnesota vs. #56 Michigan
April 1, 2005
Baseline Tennis Center
1. #35 Avery Ticer (MN) def. #81 Matko Maravic (MI), 6-4, 6-4
2. Brian Hung (MI) def. Nic Edlefsen (MN), 7-5, 7-5
3. Andres Osorio (MN def. Ryan Heller (MI), 7-5, 6-1
4. Adrien Debreyne (MN) def. David Anving (MI), 6-4, 4-6, (10-5)
5. D.J. Geatz (MN) def. Steve Peretz (MI), 6-2, 6-2
6. Josef Fischer (MI) def. Raoul Schwark (MN), 4-6, 6-3, (10-7)
Order of finish: 5,1,3,4,6,2
1. Ticer/Debreyne (MN) def. #43 Maravic/Hung (MI), 9-8 (8)
2. Heller/Fischer (MI) def. Geatz/Osorio (MN), 8-1
3. Edlefsen/Schwark (MN) def. Anving/Gossain (MI), 8-2
Order of finish: 2,3,1