Minnesota ran its record to 13-3 and won its second Big Ten match of the weekend with a 6-1 victory over Michigan State on Sunday at the Baseline Tennis Center.
The Gophers, ranked 37th in the country, won four singles matches in straight sets and took the doubles point in earning the victory. Michigan State fell to 12-5 overall and 0-2 in the Big Ten.
Minnesota claimed the doubles point when Sebastian Gallego and Ishay Hadash, playing together for the first time this season, posted an 8-5 win at No. 1. Phillip Arndt and Michael Sicora were also victories with an 8-3 win at No. 3. Dino Bilankov and Tobias Wernet suffered an 8-7 loss at No. 2 after the Gophers already had the point clinched.
Wernet cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 singles victory over John Allare at No. 2 and Hadash rolled to a 6-1, 6-3 win over Alex Forger at No. 1. Gallego was a 6-4, 6-4 winner over Scott Rasmussen at No. 3 and Sicora also had a straight-sets win with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Jason Norville at No. 6. Bilankov won a three-set match over Austin Brooks at No. 4, winning 6-0, 4-6, 6-1.
Arndt suffered the Gophers’ only setback in a third-set super-tiebreaker at No. 5, losing to Ronnie Hulewicz 6-3, 2-6, (10-4).
Minnesota goes on the road next weekend with matches at Penn State on Friday and Ohio State on Sunday.
#37 Minnesota 6, Michigan State 1
1. #62 Ishay Hadash (MINN) def. Alex Forger (MSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. John Allare (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Sebastian Gallego (MINN) def. Scott Rasmussen (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Dino Bilankov (MINN) def. Austin Brooks (MSU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
5. Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) def. Phillip Arndt (MINN) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-4)
6. Michael Sicora (MINN) def. Jason Norville (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Sebastian Gallego/Ishay Hadash (MINN) def. John Allare/Jason Norville (MSU) 8-5
2. Austin Brooks/John Stratton (MSU) def. Dino Bilankov/Tobias Wernet (MINN) 8-7
3. Phillip Arndt/Michael Sicora (MINN) def. Alex Forger/Scott Rasmussen (MSU) 8-3
Michigan State 12-5, 0-2 Big Ten
Minnesota 13-3, 2-0 Big Ten; National ranking #37