Indiana took three singles matches in three sets and it proved to be the difference as the Hoosiers handed Minnesota a 4-3 setback in a Big Ten men’s tennis contest on Saturday at the Baseline Tennis Center.
It was a similar outcome to earlier in the week when San Diego won three singles matches in three sets to hand the Gophers a 6-1 loss. Minnesota is now 2-12 overall and 0-2 in the Big Ten with all 12 losses to ranked teams. Indiana is 11-4 overall and ranked 38th after winning its Big Ten opener.
After Indiana swept all three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead, Minnesota bounced back with a pair of straight set singles victory from Raoul Schwark by a 7-6, 7-5 score at No. 1 and from Dino Bilankov from a 6-3, 6-3 score at No. 4.
The other four singles matches went three sets, but only Tobias Wernet emerged victorious for the Gophers with a 5-7, 7-6, 6-4 win at No. 3. Indiana’s Phillip Eilers rebounded for a 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 win over Sebastian Gallego at No. 2. The Hoosiers also had a comeback win from Michael McCarthy over Chi Pham 5-7, 7-6, 6-2 at No. 5 and got a victory from Santiago Gruter 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 at No. 6.
Minnesota is in action next weekend at Penn State on Friday and at Michigan on Sunday.
Indiana 4, Minnesota 3
at Baseline Tennis Center, Minneapolis
1. Phillip Eilers/Lachlan Ferguson (IU) def. Chi Pham/Tobias Wernet 8-4
2. Thomas Richter/Dara McLouglin (IU) def. Dino Bilankov/Sebastian Gallego 8-6
3. Peter Antons/Santiago Gruter (IU) def. Raoul Schwark/Derek Peterson 8-6
1. Schwark (MINN) def. Richter 7-6, 7-5
2. Eilers (IU) def. Gallego 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Wernet (MINN) def. McLoughlin 5-7, 7-6, 6-4
4. Bilankov (MINN) def. Ferguson 6-3, 6-3
5. Michael McCarthy (IU) def. Phm 5-7, 7-6, 6-2
6. Gruter (IU) def. Pierre Dumas 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
Minnesota 2-12, 0-2 Big Ten
Indiana 11-4, 1-0 Big Ten, ranked #38