Dino Bilankov rallied from a set down to clinch the team victory as Minnesota posted a 4-3 win over Michigan in a matchup of top 40 teams on Saturday at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Minnesota, ranked 37th in the country, improved to 12-3 for the season, while Michigan fell to 6-10 for the year. It was the Big Ten opener for both squads.
Bilankov rebounded at No. 5 singles for the clinching victory, beating George Navas 6-7, 6-2, 6-3. Tobias Wernet also pulled out a three-set win, rallying past Andrew Mazlin at No. 2 singles 6-7, 6-2, 6-4.
Ishay Hadash got the Gophers started with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Jason Jung at No. 1 singles and Sebastian Gallego cruised to a 6-2, 6-2 win over Peter Aarts at No. 3.
Michigan won a pair of singles matches as Chris Madden beat Julian Dehn 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4 and Drew Daniel defeated Michael Sicora 6-4, 6-3 at No. 6.
The Wolverines also took the doubles point with Jung and Navas beating Hadash and Phillip Arndt 8-2 at No. 1 and Madden and Mazlin getting past Dehn and Gallego 8-4 at No. 2.
The Gophers host Michigan State in another Big Ten contest on Sunday at noon at the Baseline Tennis Center.
#37 Minnesota 4, #40 Michigan 3
1. George Navas/Jason Jung (MICH) def. Phillip Arndt/Ishay Hadash (MINN) 8-2
2. Chris Madden/Andrew Mazlin (MICH) def. Sebastian Gallego/Julian Dehn (MINN) 8-4
3. Dino Bilankov/Tobias Wernet (MINN) vs. Peter Aarts/Drew Daniel (MICH) unfinished
1. Ishay Hadash (MINN) def. Jason Jung (MICH) 6-1, 6-3
2. Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. Andrew Mazlin (MICH) 6-7, 6-2, 6-4
3. Sebastian Gallego (MINN) def. Peter Aarts (MICH) 6-2, 6-2
4. Chris Madden (MICH) def. Julian Dehn (MINN) 6-3, 6-1
5. Dino Bilankov (MINN) def. George Navas (MICH) 6-7, 6-2, 6-3
6. Drew Daniel (MICH) def. Michael Sicora (MINN) 6-4, 6-3