The 18th-ranked University of Minnesota men's tennis team wrapped up its spring break trip to New Mexico on Saturday with a 6-1 win over Northern Arizona in Albuquerque, N.M. The Golden Gophers (11-3, 1-0 Big Ten) went 2-1 in doubles play and 5-1 in singles action to finish their road trip with a 3-1 record.
The Maroon and Gold opened the dual with a doubles wins at Nos. 2 and 3 to take the early 1-0 lead. At No. 2, Andres Osorio and Sion Wilkins cruised to an 8-3 win over Chris Arena and Gareth Ducray to get Minnesota on the board. Mikey Kantar and Raoul Schwark clinched the doubles point at No. 3 with an 8-5 victory over Bradley Bristow and Fernando Freitas.
Minnesota rolled to the team win with five straight-set victories in singles play. At No. 1, Osorio downed Ducray 6-3, 6-3, while 61st-ranked Schwark overwhelmed Freitas at No. 2 with a 6-1, 6-3 win. Other Golden Gophers picking up wins were Nich Edlefsen at No. 4, Wilkins at No. 5 and Chi Pham at No. 6. Pham's victory was his first career dual match win.
The Maroon and Gold stays on the road and returns to Big Ten action next weekend with matches at Indiana and Ohio State on March 24 and 25.
#18 Minnesota vs. Northern Arizona
March 17, 2007
1. Andres Osorio (MINN) def. Gareth Ducray (NAU), 6-3, 6-3
2. #61 Raoul Schwark (MINN) def. Fernando Freitas (NAU), 6-1, 6-3
3. Michael Platzer (NAU) def. D.J. Geatz (MINN), 6-1, 6-4
4. Nich Edlefsen (MINN) def. Jeff Morys (NAU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Sion Wilkins (MINN) def. Bradley Bristow (NAU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Chi Pham (MINN) def. Chris Arena (NAU), 7-6, 6-3
1. Morys/Platzer (NAU) def. Edlefsen/Geatz (MINN), 8-5
2. Osorio/Wilkins (MINN) def. Arena/Ducray (NAU), 8-3
3. Mikey Kantar/Schwark (MINN) def. Bristow/Freitas (NAU), 8-5
#18 Minnesota def. Northern Arizona, 6-1