The 16th-ranked University of Minnesota men's tennis team lost for the first time since Jan. 28 this afternoon when they were upset 7-0 on the road by Pac-10 foe No. 23 Washington. The loss was the first for the Gophers since they were defeated at No. 6 UCLA more than a month ago and snaps a seven-match win streak.
Washington won all three doubles matches to claim the doubles point. The Huskies boast two doubles teams ranked in the top 60 by the ITA. Julian Dehn and Rok Bonin represented the Gophers at No. 1 doubles and lost 8-3 to No. 38 Kyle McMorrow and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan. The 52nd-ranked duo of Martin Kildahl and Tobi Obenaus downed Sebastian Gallego and Brendan Ruddock 8-6 at No. 2 doubles, and Marton Bots and Daniel Schmidt defeated Tobias Wernet and Juan Pablo Ramirez 8-7 (1) at the third position.
Like doubles, the Huskies boasted a bevy of ranked players in singles. No. 75 Nedunchezhiyan beat Bonin 6-3, 6-1 at No. singles, while No. 61 McMorrow handed Wernet a 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-7) loss at the second position. It was the first time all season that Wernet played No. 2 singles. Kildahl, who is ranked 71st, dropped Gallego 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3 singles.
The Huskies controlled the matches at the bottom of the lineup as well, which has typically been a strong point for Minnesota this season. Ruddock lost 6-4, 6-2 to Schmidt at No. 4, while Dehn was narrowly beaten 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (11-9) by Obenhaus at the fifth position. Freshman Juan Pablo Ramirez played in his second match of the season for Minnesota and lost 6-3, 6-4 to Bots at No. 6 singles.
The Gophers play at No. 34 Miami (Fla.) on Friday, March 18, before returning to Baseline Tennis Center for their Big Ten home opener against No. 60 Northwestern on March 25. Minnesota then hosts Denver on March 26.
March 5, 2011 - Seattle, Wash.
Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 23 Washington 7, No. 16 Minnesota 0
1. No. 75 Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Rok Bonin (MIN), 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 61 Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. Tobias Wernet (MIN), 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-7)
3. No. 71 Martin Kildahl (UW) def. Sebastian Gallego (MIN), 6-1, 6-1
4. Daniel Schmidt (UW) def. Brendan Ruddock (MIN), 6-4, 6-2
5. Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. Julian Dehn (MIN), 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (11-9)
6. Marton Bots (UW) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MIN), 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish (3, 4, 6, 1, 2, 5)
1. No. 38 McMorrow/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Dehn/Bonin (MIN), 8-3
2. No. 52 Kildahl/Obenaus (UW) def. Gallego/Ruddock (MIN), 8-6
3. Bots/Schmidt (UW) def. Wernet/Ramirez (MIN), 8-7 (1)
Order of finish (1, 2, 3)