The 24th-ranked University of Minnesota men's tennis team improved to 4-2 against ranked opponents this season with a 5-2 win over 15th-ranked Washington today at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis. The Golden Gophers (8-2, 1-0 Big Ten) lost the doubles point, but rallied with a 5-1 record in singles play to record their second win this season over a higher-ranked opponent.
The Huskies (9-2) opened the afternoon with a 3-0 showing in doubles matches to take the early 1-0 lead. At No. 1, Daniel Chu and Alex Slovic downed D.J. Geatz and Sion Wilkins 8-5, while Derek Drabble and Andy Kuharsky posted an 8-5 win over Andres Osorio and Chi Pham at No. 3. At No. 2, Mikey Kantar and Raoul Schwark were edged 8-6 by Patrik Fischer and Mike Ricks.
The Golden Gophers rebounded in singles action with five wins (three in three sets) to push Minnesota's win streak to three duals. Nich Edlefsen got UM started at No. 5 with his 6-4, 6-3 win over Derek Drabble, while Osorio gave Minnesota the 2-1 lead with a 6-3, 6-4 upset of 84th-ranked Slovic at No. 1.
The Maroon and Gold then clinched the team win with victories at Nos. 2 and 6. Raoul Schwark improved to 5-4 at No. 2 with his 6-4, 3-6, 6-1 win over Kuharsky at No. 2, while Brian Lipinski clinched the team triumph at No. 6 with his 6-1, 5-7, 6-1 win over David Chu. After a Geatz loss at No. 3, Kantar wrapped up the dual with a tight 6-7, 7-6, 7-5 victory over Fischer.
Minnesota now heads on a six-match road trip, beginning with duals against Radford and New Mexico State on March 14 in Las Cruces, N.M.
#24 Minnesota vs. #15 Washington
March 3, 2007
Baseline Tennis Center
1. Andres Osorio (MINN) def. #84 Alex Slovic (UW), 6-3, 6-4
2. Raoul Schwark (MINN) def. Andy Kuharsky (UW), 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
3. Daniel Chu (UW) def. D.J. Geatz (MINN), 7-5, 7-5
4. Mikey Kantar (MINN) def. Patrik Fischer (UW), 6-7, 7-6, 7-5
5. Nich Edlefsen (MINN) def. Derek Drabble (UW), 6-3, 6-3
6. Brian Lipinski (MINN) def. David Chu (UW), 6-1, 5-7, 6-1
Order of finish: 5,1,2,6,3,4
1. Daniel Chu/Slovic (UW) def. Geatz/Sion Wilkins (MINN), 8-5
2. Fischer/Mike Ricks (UW) def. Kantar/Schwark (MINN), 8-6
3. Drabble/Kuharsky (UW) def. Osorio/Chi Pham (MINN), 8-5
#24 Minnesota def. #15 Washington, 5-2
Records: Minnesota 8-2, 1-0 Big Ten; Washington 9-2