Minnesota extended its winning streak to eight straight matches for the first time since 2003 in a 6-1 win over Western Michigan on Saturday at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Ishay Hadash and Julian Dehn each won in singles and doubles to lead the Gophers, who are now 10-1 overall and ranked 48th in the country. Western Michigan is now 8-6 overall.
Hadash won his No. 1 singles match over Kevin Hayward 6-0, 6-2, while Dehn was a 6-4, 6-1 winner over Casey Cullen at No. 4.
The two each won in doubles to help the Gophers take the doubles point as Hadash teamed with Phillip Arndt for an 8-1 win at No. 2 and Dehn joined Sebastian Gallego for an 8-3 victory at No. 3.
Michael Sicora also collected a straight-set singles victory, beating Brad Noel 6-3, 7-5 at No. 6. Dino Bilankov added a win over Pablo Olivarez 6-4, 6-1 at No. 5, while Tobias Wernet edged Michael Calderone 7-5, 5-7, 6-4.
Kazuya Komada earned the Broncos’ lone victory by beating Arndt 6-2, 6-4 at No. 3.
Saturday’s match concluded a perfect seven-match February homestand for the Gophers, who play at Washington next Saturday.
#48 Minnesota 6, Western Michigan 1
1. Michael Calderone-Kazuya Komada (WMU) def. Tobias Wernet-Michael Sicora (MINN) 8-6
2. Ishay Hadash-Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Casey Cullen-Kevin Hayward (WMU) 8-1
3. Julian Dehn-Sebastian Gallego (MINN) def. Brad Noel-Pablo Olivarez (WMU) 8-3
1. Hadash (MINN) def. Hayward (WMU) 6-0, 6-2
2. #123 Wernet (MINN) def. Calderone (WMU) 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
3. Komada (WMU) def. Arndt (MINN) 6-2, 6-4
4. Dino Bilankov (MINN) def. Cullen (WMU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Dehn (MINN) def. Olivarez (WMU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Sicora (MINN) def. Noel (WMU) 6-3, 7-5