The No. 27 Minnesota men's tennis team won its sixth straight match on Friday night with a 5-2 win against Drake at Baseline Tennis Center. The Gophers are now 7-1 on the year, which matches their best start to the season since their 2009 campaign. Minnesota is now 4-0 at home.
Minnesota won all three doubles matches for only the second time this year (also won all three against Marquette in a 6-1 home win on Jan. 22). Julian Dehn and Rok Bonin partnered together for the first time this year and easily won 8-2 against Jonathan Hadash and Jean Erasmus at No. 2 doubles. Juan Pablo Ramirez made his season debut tonight and earned an 8-6 doubles win with Tobias Wernet. The tandem beat Anis Ghorbel and James McKie at No. 3 doubles. Phillip Arndt and Sebastian Gallego, staples at No. 1 doubles, triumphed 8-6 against Mauricio Ballivian and Robin Goodman.
The Gophers won four of six singles matches and were led by the top of the lineup. Bonin earned his second win this year at No. 1 singles as he beat No. 122 Ballivian 6-2, 7-5. Gallego needed three sets to dispatch Erasmus 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 at No. 2 singles, while Wernet also went the distance in his 5-7, 7-6 (1), 7-5 win against McKie at No 3 singles. Dehn, who typically plays No. 6 singles, won his first match of the season at No. 5 singles as he beat Goodman 6-4, 6-3. Minnesota is now 7-0 at No. 5 singles this season. Brendan Ruddock, who did not play tonight, is 6-0 at the fifth position.
Ramirez lost his collegiate singles debut to Hadash 6-4, 7-5 at No. 6 singles and Arndt fell at the fourth position to Ghorbel 6-4, 6-4.
Minnesota heads to Seattle next weekend for matches against St. Mary's College and No. 19 Washington. They play at No. 39 Miami (Fla.) on March 18 before returning home to play Big Ten foe and No. 67 Northwestern on March 25.
Tennis Match Results
Drake vs Minnesota
Feb 25, 2011 at Minneapolis
(Baseline Tennis Center)
#27 Minnesota 5, Drake 2
1. Rok Bonin (MINN) def. #122 Ballivian, Mauricio (DU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Sebastian Gallego (MINN) def. Erasmus, Jean (DU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
3. Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. McKie, James (DU) 5-7, 7-6 (7-1), 7-5
4. Ghorbel, Anis (DU) def. Phillip Arndt (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
5. Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Goodman, Robin (DU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Hadash, Jonathan (DU) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-4, 7-5
1. #77 Sebastian Gallego/Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Ballivian, Mauricio/Goodman, Robin (DU) 8-6
2. Julian Dehn/Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Erasmus, Jean/Hadash, Jonathan (DU) 8-2
3. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. McKie, James/Ghorbel, Anis (DU) 8-6
Minnesota 7-1; National ranking #27
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,5,1,6,2,3)