The University of Minnesota men's tennis team (7-2, 1-0) continued their strong start with a convincing victory over the Southern Methodist Mustangs in Minneapolis at Baseline Tennis Center. The Gophers got a balanced effort from the entire squad in doubles and singles play.
The Maroon and Gold took it to the Mustangs right away and earned its first doubles sweep of the season. Sion Wilkins and DJ Geatz won on No. 1 with relative ease, while the matches on Nos. 2 and 3 were much closer. Mikey Kantar and Raoul Schwark won 9-8 on No. 2 to clinch the doubles point and Andres Osario and Chi-Lang Pham won 9-7 on No. 3.
Singles play also went well for the Gophers who took four out of six from SMU on Nos. 6, 5, 3 and 2. Brian Lipinski, Nic Edlefsen, DJ Geatz and Raoul Schwark all earned W's for Minnesota. All of the Gopher singles victories were won in two sets, while Andres Osario's match on No.1 went to a tie breaker after two sets.
Coach Geoff Young said "The guys did a great job and played extremely well today against a tough SMU team. It was our first doubles sweep of the season which is nice because our ability to play well in doubles will be very critical to our success this season."
Minnesota will continue its season on March 2 at home against IOWA at 6:30 pm.
#24 Minnesota vs. #39 SMU
Feb. 25, 2007
Baseline Tennis Center
1. Alex Skrypko (SMU) def. Andres Osario (MN), 4-6, 7-5, (11-9)
2. Raoul Schwark (MN) def. David Kuczer (SMU), 4-6, 7-6, 7-5
3. DJ Geatz (MN) def. Federico Murgier (SMU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Robin Fahgen (SMU) def. Mikey Kantar (MN), 7-5, 5-7, (11-9)
5. Nic Edlefsen (MN) def. Chris Hooshyar (SMU), 6-4, 7-5
6. Brian Lipinski (MN) def. Adolfo Solares (SMU), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 5, 3, 4, 2, 1Doubles
1. Wilkins/Geatz (MN) def. Kuczer/Solares, 8-6
2. Kantar/Schwark (MN) def. Hooshyar/Murgier, 9-8 (5)
3. Osario/Pham (MN) def. Skrypko/Fahgen, 8-6
#24 Minnesota def. #39 SMU, 5-2