The University of Minnesota men's tennis team knocked off a top 25 team for the first time in two years, defeating Wake Forest 5-2 on Friday at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis. The win brings the 60th-ranked Golden Gophers record to 6-1, while moving the Demon Deacons to a record of 5-3.
Led by sophomore Ishay Hadash, Minnesota defeated its first top-25 team since beating 15th-ranked Washington 5-2 two years ago. Hadash sealed the victory for the Gophers when he won the No. 1 singles match 5-7, 6-2, 6-4 over the Demon Deacon's Cory Parr, giving Minnesota the fourth point for the victory. Parr entered the match ranked 37th in the country. Hadash also won his doubles match, winning the No. 2 doubles contest with Phillip Arndt 8-5. Arndt later went on to win at No. 4 singles 4-6, 7-6, (10-8) for the fifth Minnesota point.
Julian Dehn won his first dual of his Gopher career, winning at No 6. singles 6-2, 6-3. The freshman also won at No. 3 doubles 8-2 with Sebastian Gallego. Gallego also had a strong performance in his singles match, defeating the Demon Deacons' Andrew Brasseaux 6-1, 6-3 at No. 3 singles.
Minnesota will next play two duals on Sun., Feb. 22 at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis. The Gophers will first face Binghamton University at 9 a.m. and then Minnesota will play Drake University at 2 p.m.
1. Cory Parr/Steven Forman (WAKE) def. Michael Sicora/Tobias Wernet (MINN) 8-2
2. Ishay Hadash/Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. David Hopkins/Andrew Brasseaux (WAKE) 8-5
3. Sebastian Gallego/Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Jonathan Wolff/Jason Morgenstern (WAKE) 8-2
1. Hadash (MINN) def. Parr (WAKE) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
2. Forman (WAKE) def. Wernet (MINN) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Gallego (MINN) def. Brasseaux (WAKE) 6-1, 6-3
4. Arndt (MINN) def. Hopkins (WAKE) 4-6, 7-6, (10-8)
5. Wolff (WAKE) def. Sicora (MINN) 6-0, 6-2
6. Dehn (MINN) def. Carlos Salmon (WAKE) 6-2, 6-3