Minnesota won five singles matches in straight sets and rolled to a 6-1 victory over 46th-ranked Southern Methodist on Sunday at the Baseline Tennis Center.
The Gophers improved to 5-1 for the season with the win and dropped SMU to 4-4 overall. It was the second of seven straight home matches for Minnesota.
Minnesota earned the doubles point with a pair of convincing victories as Tobias Wernet and Michael Sicora teamed for an 8-3 victory at No. 1 and Ishay Hadash and Phillip Arndt cruised to an 8-2 win at No. 2. SMU’s Gaston Cuadranti and Robin Fahgen outlasted Minnesota’s Sebastian Gallego and Dino Bilankov 7-5 in a tiebreaker at No. 3.
In singles, the Gophers dropped five games or less in three of their victories. Hadash took a 6-3, 6-2 win from Fahgen, while Wernet defeated David Costa 6-3, 6-1 and Arndt knocked off Griffin 6-1, 6-2 for his eighth straight win.
Sicora added a 6-3, 6-4 win over Adham el-Effendi at No. 5 and Bilankov won his first singles match of the dual meet season by beating Cuadranti 6-3, 7-5 at No. 6. Gallego won his first set at No. 3, but Artem Baradach rallied for a 3-6, 6-3, 10-5 win in a third-set super-tiebreaker.
The Gophers have another key match with a ranked opponent ahead when they host 21st-ranked Wake Forest on Friday at 5 p.m.
Minnesota 6, Southern Methodist 1
1. #26 Tobias Wernet-Michael Sicora (MINN) def. Artem Baradach-Bryan Griffin (SMU) 8-3
2. Ishay Hadash-Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Adham el-Effendi-David Costa (SMU) 8-2
3. Gaston Cuadranti-Robin Fahgen (SMU) def. #22 Sebastian Gallego-Dino Bilankov (MINN) 8-7 (5)
1. Hadash (MINN) def. Fahgen (SMU) 6-3, 6-2
2. #75 Wernet (MINN) def. Costa (SMU) 6-3, 6-1
3. #118 Baradach (SMU) def. Gallego (MINN) 3-6, 6-3, (10-5)
4. Arndt (MINN) def. Griffin (SMU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Sicora (MINN) def. el-Effendi (SMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Bilankov (MINN) def. Cuadranti (SMU) 6-3, 7-5