Minnesota improved to 4-1 for the season and won five of its six singles matches in straight sets in sweeping Wisconsin-Green Bay 7-0 on Friday at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Four Gophers’ players won their singles matches by losing four games or less. Tobias Wernet cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 2 and Michael Sicora posted a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 4. Ishay Hadash added a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 1 and Adam Altepeter notched a 6-2, 6-2 victory at No. 6.
Phillip Arndt won his seventh straight match, but needed to rally from a first set tiebreaker loss and won a third set super-tiebreaker to beat Paul Swanson 6-7, 6-3, 10-8 at No. 3. Jonathan Hadash won a first set tiebreaker to pull out a 7-6, 6-1 win over Henning Jess at No. 5.
The Gophers won all three doubles matches by 8-4 scores. Wernet and Sicora prevailed at No. 1, while Sebastian Gallego and Dino Bilankov were winners at No. 2. Ishay Hadash and Arndt finished off the doubles sweep at No. 3.
Friday’s match was the first of seven straight home contests to round out February for the Gophers. Minnesota will host 46th-ranked Southern Methodist on Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Minnesota 7, Wisconsin-Green Bay 0
1. Tobias Wernet-Michael Sicora (MINN) def. Henning Jess-Eric Plaushines (GB) 8-4
2. Sebastian Gallego-Dino Bilankov (MINN) def. Paul Swanson-Matt Clegg (GB) 8-4
3. Ishay Hadash-Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Matt Keesey-Brian McCarthy (GB) 8-4
1. Ishay Hadash (MINN) def. Clegg (GB) 6-3, 6-1
2. Wernet (MINN) def. Plaushines (GB) 6-1, 6-1
3. Arndt (MINN) def. Swanson (GB) 6-7, 6-3, (10-8)
4. Sicora (MINN) def. Keesey (GB) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jonathan Hadash (MINN) def. Jess (GB) 7-6, 6-1
6. Adam Altepeter (MINN) def. Mike Wesley (GB) 6-2, 6-2