Minnesota snapped a three-match losing streak with a 7-0 victory over St. Mary's (Calif.) on Sunday at the Baseline Tennis Center.
The 37th-ranked Gophers improved to 2-3 overall with the victory in just the second all-time meeting between the two schools. Minnesota also defeated the Gaels 6-1 in 2006. St. Mary's fell to 0-6 with the loss.
Minnesota dominated the doubles play by sweeping all three matches for the second straight match. Rok Bonin and Tobias Wernet coasted to an 8-1 win at No. 2 and Dino Bilankov and Julian Dehn cruised to an 8-2 victory at No. 3. Phillip Arndt and Sebastian Gallego finished off the sweep with an 8-3 win at No. 1.
The Gophers had four players post straight-set victories to build a 5-0 lead. Michael Sicora was the first to finish with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Mike Luck at No. 6 and Rok Bonin defeated Andrea Zannoni by the same score at No. 2.
Tobias Wernet clinched the team victory with his 6-3, 7-5 triumph over Lucas Tirelli at No. 1 and Phillip Arndt followed with a 6-2, 6-4 decision over Gavin Leon at No. 4.
Minnesota finished off the sweep with two players rallying from first set losses to win. Julian Dehn came back from a first set tiebreaker loss to post a 6-7, 6-4, (10-7) win over Youssef El Bouzkouri at No. 5. Dino Bilankov battled back to win the last four games of the match and beat Sherif Hamdy 6-3, 3-6, 7-5.
The Gophers are off next weekend and host Drake on Sat., Feb. 20 at 5 p.m.
#37 Minnesota 7, St. Mary's (Calif.) 0
1. #55 Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. Lucas Tirelli (SMC) 6-3, 7-5
2. Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Andrea Zannoni (SMC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Dino Bilankov (MINN) def. Sherif Hamdy (SMC) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
4. Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Gavin Leon (SMC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Youssef El Bouzkouri (SMC) 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Michael Sicora (MINN) def. Mike Luck (SMC) 6-3, 6-3
1. Phillip Arndt/Sebastian Gallego (MINN) def. Steve Dawson-Roberts/Gavin Leon (SMC) 8-3
2. Rok Bonin/Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. Sherif Hamdy/Lucas Tirelli (SMC) 8-1
3. Dino Bilankov/Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Gerald Ellison/Mike Luck (SMC) 8-2
St. Mary's (Calif.) 0-6
Minnesota 2-3; National ranking #37
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,2,1,4,5,3)