With a young squad, the University of Minnesota men’s tennis team defeated Marquette University 7-0 at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis.
An overall team effort propelled the Golden Gophers to victory with four players winning both their doubles and singles matches. Of those four, three were freshmen.
Freshman Michael Sicora started the scoring for Minnesota by winning the No. 1 doubles match 8-5 with Tobias Wernet and then cruised through the No. 4 singles match (6-1, 6-1). Wernet also won his No. 2 singles with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Marquette’s Dusan Medan.
Also winning both their doubles and singles matches were freshmen Ishay Hadash and Phillip Arndt. The two teamed up to win 8-6 at the No. 3 doubles before Hadash won the No. 1 singles 6-4, 6-6 (8-6) and Arndt won the No. 5 singles 6-2, 6-4.
Senior Adam Altepeter won 7-5, 7-5 at the No. 6 singles, while Sebastian Gallego won 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 3 singles.
The University of Minnesota men’s tennis team will face DePaul University tomorrow at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis. The match is set to begin at 6:30 p.m.
Minnesota 7, Marquette 0
1. Tobias Wernet/ Michael Sicora (MINN) def. Trent Hagan/Stephen Shao (MAR) 8-5
2. Dusan Medan/Niko Boulieris (MAR) def. Sebastian Gallego/Dino Bilankov (MINN) 8-8 (7-5)
3. Ishay Hadash/Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Mark Rutherford/Jonathan Schwerin (MAR) 8-6
1. Hadash (MINN) def. Hagan (MAR) 6-4, 6-6 (8-6)
2. Wernet (MINN) def. Medan (MAR) 6-3, 6-3
3. Gallego (MINN) def. Boulieris (MAR) 6-4, 6-3
4. Sicora (MINN) def. Shao (MAR) 6-1, 6-1
5. Arndt (MINN) def. Rutherford (MAR) 6-2, 6-4
6. Adam Altepeter (MINN) def. Schwerin (MAR) 7-5, 7-5