A day after suffering its first loss of the season, the No. 33 Minnesota men's tennis team rebounded to upset No. 28 Fresno State, 4-2, at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Los Angeles Tennis Center in Los Angeles.
The Gophers lost 4-0 to No. 6 UCLA on Friday, but got on the board early on Saturday winning the doubles point. Phillip Arndt and Sebastian Gallego earned their second win of the season at No. 1 doubles with an 8-6 upset win against the 21st-ranked duo of Remi Boutillier and Rikus de Villiers. Rok Bonin and Tobias Wernet then clinched the doubles point for the Gophers with a 9-7 win against Francis Alcantara and Jean-Charles Diame at No. 2 doubles.
The No. 3 doubles match between Gophers Julian Dehn and Brendan Ruddock was suspended at 6-6 with Siddharth Alapati and Nick Papac once Minnesota had already earned the point.
Ruddock put the Gophers up 2-0 with a 6-4, 6-3 win against Alapati at No. 5 singles. Fresno State then leveled the match at 2-2 with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 singles. Bonin lost a three-set match at No. 1 to de Villiers 3-6, 6-0, 6-3, while Gallego was felled at No. 2 to No. 69 Boutillier 6-4, 6-4.
Minnesota went up 3-2 in the dual match after Julian Dehn topped Papac 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 at the sixth position and then earned their first upset win of the year when Wernet dispatched Diame 7-6 (3), 7-5 at No. 3 singles.
The match at No. 4 singles between Arndt and Alcantara was suspended with Arndt leading 6-2, 6-7, 4-2 because Minnesota had already obtained the necessary four points for the overall win.
The Gophers return to the courts when they host No. 25 Virginia Tech at 6 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 4.
2011 ITA Kick-Off Weekend
#33 Minnesota 4, #28 Fresno State 2
Jan 29, 2011 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. Rikus de Villiers (FSU) def. Rok Bonin (MINN) 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. #69 Remi Boutillier (FSU) def. Sebastian Gallego (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
3. Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. Jean-Charles Diame (FSU) 7-6(3), 7-5
4. Francis Alcantara (FSU) vs. Phillip Arndt (MINN) 2-6, 7-6(2), 2-4, Susp.
5. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) def. Siddharth Alapati (FSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Nick Papac (FSU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
1. Arndt/Gallego (MINN) def. #21 Boutillier/de Villiers (FSU) 8-6
2. Bonin/Wernet (MINN) def. Alcantara/Diame (FSU) 9-7
3. Alapati/Papac (FSU) vs. Dehn/Ruddock (MINN) 6-6, Susp.
Minnesota 2-1; National ranking #33
Fresno State 1-2; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,2,1,6,3)