May 11, 2013
The No. 35 Minnesota men’s tennis team ended its season this afternoon with a second round loss in the 2013 NCAA Tournament. The Golden Gophers fell to No. 3 Virginia Cavaliers by a score of 4-0 in the Charlottesville Regional Final. The Maroon and Gold wrap up the 2012-13 season with an overall record of 15-11. Virginia moves on to the Sweet Sixteen.
National ranks held up in the doubles competition, where the Cavaliers notched victories at the hands of two Top 25 teams. No. 21 Alex Domijan and Mitchell Frank downed Rok Bonin and Juan Pablo Ramirez 8-2 to kick-start the momentum. At No. 1, Jarmere Jenkins and Mac Styslinger, who make up the No. 4 duo in the nation, defeated Mathieu Froment and Jack Hamburg, 8-4, to close out the point.
Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh made a statement at Minnesota’s No. 3 pair, nearly defeating the No. 89 ranked duo of Justin Shane and Julen Uriguen. The Gophers had an 8-7 advantage over the Cavs before the match was called.
Ranked No. 28 in the singles polls, Styslinger followed up the doubles win with a singles victory over Minnesota’s Froment (6-1, 6-1). At the sixth position, Uriguen defeated Ramirez in straight sets to give the Cavaliers a commanding 3-0 lead over the Gophers. Virginia’s Jenkins put the match away with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Bonin at the top spot.
Play is not over for Bonin. The senior received an at-large bid into the NCAA Singles Championship to take place May 22-27 it the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex/Atkins Tennis Center in Urbana, Ill. following the team tournament.
2013 NCAA Tournament – Charlottesville Regional
Tennis Match Results
May 11, 2013
Snyder Tennis Center
#3 Virginia 4, #35 Minnesota 0
1. #4 Jarmere Jenkins/Mac Styslinger (VA) def. Mathieu Froment/Jack Hamburg (MINN) 8-4
2. #21 Mitchell Frank/Alex Domijan (VA) def. Rok Bonin/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 8-2
3. #89 Justin Shane/Julen Uriguen (VA) vs. Eric Frueh/Leandro Toledo (MINN) 7-8 unfinished
1. #3 Jermere Jenkins (VA) def. #53 Rok Bonin (MINN) 6-1, 6-0
2. #2 Alex Domijan (VA) vs. #83 Leandro Toledo (MINN) 4-6, 4-3 unfinished
3. #39 Mitchell Frank (VA) vs. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 7-6 (7-0), 3-3 unfinished
4. #28 Mac Styslinger (VA) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-1, 6-1
5. Justin Shane (VA) vs. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-0, 5-6 unfinished
6. Julen Uriguen (VA) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 1
Singles: 4, 6, 1
First Serve With George Lovitt
George Lovitt comes to Minnesota after winning the North Carolina State Championship and being named the Charlotte Observer North Carolina Player of the Year.
First Serve With Eli Ogilvy
GopherSports.com sat down with the Mississauga, Ont. Native to find out more from about his freshman year at Minnesota.
First Serve With Stefan Milicevic
The Belgrade, Serbia native posted a 5-2 record in both singles and doubles matches this fall. Gophersports.com sat down with Milicevic to ask him some questions about his college...