April 27, 2013
No. 2 Minnesota fell short in a close match against the No. 3 Michigan in the 2013 Big Ten Men’s Tennis Tournament in Columbus, Ohio. After failing to collect the doubles point, the Wolverines came back to win four singles matches for the 4-3 overall victory. Michigan will move on to face Ohio State in the tournament championships.
The Gophers grabbed the early lead by winning the doubles competition in straight games. Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh continued their dominate season from the third position with a victory over Michigan’s Barrett Franks and Alex Buzzi (8-4). At No. 2, Rok Bonin and Juan Pablo Ramirez clinched it, topping Alex Patrone and Michael Zhu by a score of 8-2.
Minnesota was also the first to notch a win on the singles side. Toledo carried his success to top Petrone in straight sets (6-1, 6-4) and pushed the Gopher lead to 2-0.
Michigan went on to win the next three matches to overtake the lead. Buzzi put the Wolverines on the scoreboard with a 7-6, 6-0 victory over Ramirez. Michigan’s Vlad Stefan brought the score back to a tie with a defeat of Mathieu Froment at fourth singles (6-3, 6-0), while Evan King defeated Bonin at the top spot (6-4, 6-4) to push his team ahead.
Jack Hamburg kept the Gophers in the mix, pulling off a comeback victory at the third position. Hamburg nearly fell, by a score of 7-6, in the first set and then worked his way back to win the second and third sets by identical scores of 6-4.
It all came down to the No. 5 match-up of Ruben Weber (Minnesota) against Zhu (Michigan). After splitting the first two sets, the match was forced into a third decider. The two athletes traded points to a 5-5 tie before Zhu managed to slip away for the eventual 7-5 decision.
The squad will have another chance to capture a title as they are sure to receive a bid to the NCAA Tournament which begins on May 10.
Big Ten Tournament - Semifinals
April 27, 2013
Varsity Tennis Courts
#3 Michigan 4, #2 Minnesota 3
1. #11 Evan King (MICH) def. #50 Rok Bonin (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
2. #79 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Alex Petrone (MICH) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Barrett Franks (MICH) 6-7, 6-4, 6-4
4. #123 Vlad Stefan (MICH) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-3, 6-0
5. Michael Zhu (MICH) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 2-6, 7-6, 7-5
6. Alex Buzzi (MICH) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
1. Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) vs. #30 Evan King/Shaun Bernstein (MICH) 5-6, unfinished
2. Rok Bonin/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Alex Petrone/Michael Zhu (MICH) 8-2
3. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Barrett Franks/Alex Buzzi (MICH) 8-4
Order of Finish
Doubles: 3, 2
Singles: 2, 4, 6, 1, 3, 5
Summer Update: Levin and Sprinkel
Gophsports.com caught up with Justyn Levin and Jesse Sprinkel on what they have been doing this summer.
Summer Update: Corwin and Spec
Gophsports.com caught up with Felix Corwin and Matic Spec on what they have been doing this summer.
Summer Update: Alpeza and Krstanovic
Gophsports.com caught up with Marino Alpeza and Josip Krstanovic on what they have been doing this summer.