April 26, 2013
The Minnesota men’s tennis team made a lot of noise as they began their journey at the 2013 Big Ten Tournament today at the Varsity Tennis Courts in Columbus, Ohio. The Golden Gophers delivered a dominating performance over the Spartans of Michigan State, winning by a score of 4-0 to advance to the semifinal round.
Despite the outcome, Michigan State was the first team to notch a point in the match after winning the No. 2 doubles game. However, Minnesota would rally back to take the next two for the team point. Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh defeated Aaron Pfister and Denis Bogatov, 8-4, at No. 3, while Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment combined for an 8-5 finish over Harry Jadun and Gijs Linders at ones.
Hamburg and Toledo, along with Juan Pablo Ramirez, would go on to win their singles matches in straight sets to clinch the shutout and earn the advancement in the tournament. Hamburg finished first, topping Bogatov by scores of 6-2, 6-2 from the third singles position. Ramirez followed closely behind with a 6-1, 6-1 trouncing of Jadun at sixth. At No. 2, Toledo, the No. 79-ranked competitor in the nation, clinched the team victory with the defeat of MSU’s Drew Lied (6-1, 6-4)
As the last step before the championship match, the Maroon and Gold will face the winner of this afternoon’s match between No. 3 Michigan and No. 6 Indiana. The semifinal battle will begin at 12:30 p.m. CT tomorrow, April 27.
Big Ten Tournament - Quarterfinals
April 26, 2013
Varsity Tennis Courts
#2 Minnesota 4, #7 Michigan State 0
1. #50 Rok Bonin (MINN) vs. #115 Aaron Pfister (MSU) 3-6, 3-2, unfinished
2. #79 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) vs. John Patrick Mullane (MSU) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
5. Ruben Weber (MINN) vs. Gijs Linders (MSU) 5-7, 3-2, unfinished
6. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Harry Jadun (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Harry Jadun/Gijs Linders (MSU) 8-5
2. John Patrick Mullane/Drew Lied (MSU) def. Rok Bonin/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 8-2
3. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Aaron Pfister/Denis Bogatov (MSU) 8-4
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 3, 6, 2
Gophers Fall to Buckeyes in Sweet Sixteen
5/18/2018 - M. Tennis
The No. 37 Gophers (17-9) fell 4-1 to No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes (33-2) in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.
Eight Gophers Earn Academic All-District Nods
5/17/2018 - M. Tennis
The eight Gopher honorees represent six sports with men's gymnastics and women's hockey each having two representatives.
Gophers Hope Third Time is the Charm vs No. 3 OSU
5/16/2018 - M. Tennis
No. 37 Minnesota takes on No. 3 Ohio State in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, the third meeting between the two teams this season.