April 26, 2013
The Minnesota men’s tennis team made a lot of noise as they began their journey at the 2013 Big Ten Tournament today at the Varsity Tennis Courts in Columbus, Ohio. The Golden Gophers delivered a dominating performance over the Spartans of Michigan State, winning by a score of 4-0 to advance to the semifinal round.
Despite the outcome, Michigan State was the first team to notch a point in the match after winning the No. 2 doubles game. However, Minnesota would rally back to take the next two for the team point. Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh defeated Aaron Pfister and Denis Bogatov, 8-4, at No. 3, while Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment combined for an 8-5 finish over Harry Jadun and Gijs Linders at ones.
Hamburg and Toledo, along with Juan Pablo Ramirez, would go on to win their singles matches in straight sets to clinch the shutout and earn the advancement in the tournament. Hamburg finished first, topping Bogatov by scores of 6-2, 6-2 from the third singles position. Ramirez followed closely behind with a 6-1, 6-1 trouncing of Jadun at sixth. At No. 2, Toledo, the No. 79-ranked competitor in the nation, clinched the team victory with the defeat of MSU’s Drew Lied (6-1, 6-4)
As the last step before the championship match, the Maroon and Gold will face the winner of this afternoon’s match between No. 3 Michigan and No. 6 Indiana. The semifinal battle will begin at 12:30 p.m. CT tomorrow, April 27.
Big Ten Tournament - Quarterfinals
April 26, 2013
Varsity Tennis Courts
#2 Minnesota 4, #7 Michigan State 0
1. #50 Rok Bonin (MINN) vs. #115 Aaron Pfister (MSU) 3-6, 3-2, unfinished
2. #79 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) vs. John Patrick Mullane (MSU) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
5. Ruben Weber (MINN) vs. Gijs Linders (MSU) 5-7, 3-2, unfinished
6. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Harry Jadun (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Harry Jadun/Gijs Linders (MSU) 8-5
2. John Patrick Mullane/Drew Lied (MSU) def. Rok Bonin/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 8-2
3. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Aaron Pfister/Denis Bogatov (MSU) 8-4
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 3, 6, 2
Gophers to Finish Homestand at Baseline
The No. 33-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team completes their homestand this weekend with matches against Illinois and Northwestern.
Gophers Win Second Straight Big Ten Match
The No. 32-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team defeated the University of Iowa 5-2 and picked up their second consecutive conference victory.
Gophers Take Down Nebraska for First Conference Win
The No. 32 University of Minnesota picked up their first Big Ten victory Friday with a 7-0 win over the Nebraska Cornhuskers.