April 24, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. – The No. 55 Minnesota men’s tennis team was eliminated from the Big Ten Conference Tournament in the first round Thursday, falling 4-3 to 67th-ranked and 10th-seeded Indiana at the MSU Outdoor Courts in East Lansing Mich. The seventh-seed Gophers fell to 11-13 on the year after rallying to tie the match after falling behind 3-1.
The meeting was the 70th all-time between the two schools and saw the Hoosiers claim victory for the 28th time. The Gophers dropped to 7-10 against ranked opponents in dual-match play.
Indiana got off to a fast start by handing the Gophers’ 27th-ranked doubles duo of Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment its third loss of the season at No. 1 with an 8-7 win by No. 53 Sam Monette and Daniel Bednarczyk. Tucker Saxon and Juan Pablo Ramirez kept the Gophers’ chances of claiming the doubles point alive with an 8-4 win at No. 3, but Sven Lalic and Dimitrije Tasic secured the 1-0 lead for the Hoosiers with an 8-4 win at No. 2.
In singles, Tasic edged Froment in the first match to finish, taking a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 4, but Eric Frueh came in clutch at No. 5 by put a halt to a nine-match losing streak with a straight-set win over Chris Essick to make it 2-1.
After Indiana reclaimed a two-point lead at No. 2 with a Lalic victory, Minnesota fought back with a 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 win by Leandro Toledo at No. 1. The 42nd-ranked singles player in the nation improved to 18-6 on the spring and vanquished his seventh ranked foe in No. 113 Monette.
At No. 3, Hamburg dropped his first set, but rallied for a 6-4 second-set win and a dominating 6-1 win in the third set to knot the score.
The match came down to No. 6 singles, where Ramirez was edged in his first set before coming back to win Set No. 2, 6-3. The Bogota, Columbia native erased 5-4 and 6-5 deficits in the third set, but Indiana’s Matthew McCoy gave his team with win and a tournament quarterfinal berth with a triumph in the tiebreaker.
No. 67 Indiana 4, No. 55 Minnesota 3
April 24, 2014
MSU Outdoor Courts | East Lansing, Mich.
1. No. 42 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. No. 113 Sam Monette (IND) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
2. Sven Lalic (IND) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Daniel Bednarczyk (IND) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Dimitrije Tasic (IND) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-3, 6-3
5. Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Chris Essick (IND) 6-4, 6-4
6. Matthew McCoy (IND) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 7-6, 3-6, 7-6
1. No. 53 Sam Monette/Daniel Bednarczyk (IND) def. No. 27 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) 8-7
2. Sven Lalic/Dimitrije Tasic (IND) def. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) 8-3
3. Tucker Saxon/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Chris Essick/Stefan Lugonic (IND) 8-4
Big Ten Men's Tennis Tournament First Round
Indiana: 16-16; National ranking No. 67, No. 10 seed
Minnesota: 11-13; National ranking No. 55, No. 7 seed
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,5,2,1,3,6)
Match Duration: 4:38