April 20, 2012
The 35th-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team sent its seniors out on a winning note in the class’s final home match on Friday afternoon. The Gophers swept No. 71 Nebraska 7-0 in the last match at the Baseline Tennis center for seniors Phillip Arndt, Julian Dehn, and Michael Sicora.
The victory improved Minnesota’s record to 12-6 with a 7-3 mark in the Big Ten.
The team started strong in doubles when No. 33-ranked Rok Bonin and Dehn upended Nebraska’s Eric Sock and Andre Stenger 8-4 at the top position. The Gopher tandem finished the season with an 8-1 record at home. The lone loss came against the nation’s top-ranked combination of Blaz Rola and Chase Buchanan from Ohio State, 8-5.
Bonin and Dehn are now 14-3 in dual match play heading into the final match of the regular season.
The first point of the match was clinched by the Gophers when Juan Pablo Ramirez and Leandro Toledo notched an 8-6 win at No. 2. The Cornhuskers avoided the doubles competition sweep with an 8-7 (3) match tiebreak win at the third position.
Minnesota did not slow down in singles as Dehn followed up his doubles win with Bonin by going out on top in his final home singles match with a straight-set win over Andre Stenger at No. 3. Bonin quickly followed his doubles partner’s lead by dispatching No. 106-ranked Benedikt Lindheim 6-4, 6-1 at No. 1, making the score 3-0.
Freshman Jack Hamburg clinched the team win at No. 6 by taking down Drew Freeman 7-5, 6-4.
After Hamburg’s win Arndt closed out his last singles match at the Baseline Tennis Center with a 7-5, 6-4 triumph over Tom Blackwell. Freshmen Toledo and Mathieu Froment completed the team sweep by rallying to earn three-set wins at No. 2 and 5, respectively. Froment’s victory came in a match tiebreaker.
A loss to Ohio State on Senior Day last spring was Minnesota’s only Senior Day loss in the last six years.
The Gophers will travel to Iowa on Sunday to face the Hawkeyes their regular-season finale. After this weekend the Gophers will head to Evanston, Ill., for the Big Ten Tournament from April 26-29. Last year, Minnesota reached the tournament’s championship match.
Apr. 20, 2012
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
No. 35 Minnesota 7, No. 71 Nebraska 0
1. Rok Bonin (MINN) def. No. 106 Benedikt Lindheim (NEB) 6-4, 6-1
2. No. 89 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Robert Schulze (NEB) 0-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5)
3. Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Andre Stenger (NEB) 6-3, 6-3
4. Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Tom Blackwell (NEB) 7-5, 6-4
5. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Eric Sock (NEB) 3-6, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (6)
6. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Drew Freeman (NEB) 7-5, 6-4
1. No. 33 Rok Bonin/Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Eric Sock/Andre Stenger (NEB) 8-4
2. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Benedikt Lindheim/Robert Schulze (NEB) 8-6
3. Christopher Aumueller/Stefan Gollner (NEB) def. Phillip Arndt/Jack Hamburg 8-7 (3)
No. 47 Minnesota 12-6 (7-3 Big Ten)
No. 71 Nebraska 10-13 (3-7 Big Ten)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,6,4,2,5)