April 18, 2014
URBANA, Ill. - The 51st-ranked Minnesota men's tennis team jumped out to a 1-0 lead against No. 10 Illinois Friday, but succumbed to the Big Ten's second-place team, 5-1, after dropping all five singles matches that finished. With one match to play on the season, the Gophers have an 11-11 record with an even mark of 5-5 in conference action.
The match was the Maroon and Gold's 15th on the season against a ranked opponent. Minnesota is 7-8 against opponents in the ITA's top-75.
Illinois took an early edge in the doubles competition with an 8-2 win at No. 3, but the Gophers responded. No. 20 Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment took down Jared Hiltzik and Farris Gosea, 8-5, at No. 1 and Eric Frueh and Leandro Toledo pulled out a thrilling 12-10 tiebreaker win at No. 2 to win 8-7 (10) and give Minnesota a 1-0 lead.
The win for Hamburg and Froment was the duo's 13th in a row and moved its record on the spring to 13-1.
The Illini turned the match around in singles, seizing a lead with a 6-2, 6-3 Blake Bazarnik win at No. 3 and a 6-3, 6-2 win by Julian Childers at No. 6. No. 13 Gosea snapped No. 39 Toledo's six-match singles win streak with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 1 to give Illinois a 3-1 advantage.
Toledo is now 6-2 against ranked foes.
The match was secured for the home squad with a straight-set win by eighth-ranked Jared Hiltzik over Ruben Weber and the Fighting Illini captured a fifth point with a Alex Jesse win at No. 5. Froment's match with Ross Guignon was halted in the second set after Froment claimed a win in the first set. Froment has won his last four completed matches.
The Gophers will wrap up their regular season Sunday with a noon match against No. 35 Northwestern in Evanston, Ill.
No. 10 Illinois 5, No. 51 Minnesota 1
April 18, 2014
Atkins Tennis Center | Urbana, Ill.
1. No. 13 Farris Gosea (ILL) def. No. 39 Leandro Toledo (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 8 Jared Hiltzik (ILL) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-4, 6-3
3. Blake Bazarnik (ILL) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
4. Ross Guignon (ILL) vs. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 4-6, 5-4, unfinished
5. Alex Jesse (ILL) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 7-5, 6-3
6. Julian Childers (ILL) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-2
1. No. 20 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Jared Hiltzik/Farris Gosea (ILL) 8-5
2. Eric Frueh/Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Alex Jesse/Ross Guignon (ILL) 8-7 (12-10)
3. Blake Bazarnik/Julian Childers (ILL) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) 8-2
Minnesota 11-11 (5-5); National ranking No. 51
Illinois 19-7 (8-2); National ranking No. 10
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,1,2,5)
Gophers Take Down Nebraska for First Conference Win
The No. 32 University of Minnesota picked up their first Big Ten victory Friday with a 7-0 win over the Nebraska Cornhuskers.
Gophers Return to Big Ten Play
The No. 32 ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team returns to Big Ten Play this Friday with a 4 p.m. match at Nebraska against the Cornhuskers.
Milicevic Clinches Another Gopher Victory
The University of Minnesota picked up their eleventh victory of the season with a 4-3 comeback win over the University of Miami Friday.