April 18, 2014
URBANA, Ill. - The 51st-ranked Minnesota men's tennis team jumped out to a 1-0 lead against No. 10 Illinois Friday, but succumbed to the Big Ten's second-place team, 5-1, after dropping all five singles matches that finished. With one match to play on the season, the Gophers have an 11-11 record with an even mark of 5-5 in conference action.
The match was the Maroon and Gold's 15th on the season against a ranked opponent. Minnesota is 7-8 against opponents in the ITA's top-75.
Illinois took an early edge in the doubles competition with an 8-2 win at No. 3, but the Gophers responded. No. 20 Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment took down Jared Hiltzik and Farris Gosea, 8-5, at No. 1 and Eric Frueh and Leandro Toledo pulled out a thrilling 12-10 tiebreaker win at No. 2 to win 8-7 (10) and give Minnesota a 1-0 lead.
The win for Hamburg and Froment was the duo's 13th in a row and moved its record on the spring to 13-1.
The Illini turned the match around in singles, seizing a lead with a 6-2, 6-3 Blake Bazarnik win at No. 3 and a 6-3, 6-2 win by Julian Childers at No. 6. No. 13 Gosea snapped No. 39 Toledo's six-match singles win streak with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 1 to give Illinois a 3-1 advantage.
Toledo is now 6-2 against ranked foes.
The match was secured for the home squad with a straight-set win by eighth-ranked Jared Hiltzik over Ruben Weber and the Fighting Illini captured a fifth point with a Alex Jesse win at No. 5. Froment's match with Ross Guignon was halted in the second set after Froment claimed a win in the first set. Froment has won his last four completed matches.
The Gophers will wrap up their regular season Sunday with a noon match against No. 35 Northwestern in Evanston, Ill.
No. 10 Illinois 5, No. 51 Minnesota 1
April 18, 2014
Atkins Tennis Center | Urbana, Ill.
1. No. 13 Farris Gosea (ILL) def. No. 39 Leandro Toledo (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 8 Jared Hiltzik (ILL) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-4, 6-3
3. Blake Bazarnik (ILL) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
4. Ross Guignon (ILL) vs. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 4-6, 5-4, unfinished
5. Alex Jesse (ILL) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 7-5, 6-3
6. Julian Childers (ILL) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-2
1. No. 20 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Jared Hiltzik/Farris Gosea (ILL) 8-5
2. Eric Frueh/Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Alex Jesse/Ross Guignon (ILL) 8-7 (12-10)
3. Blake Bazarnik/Julian Childers (ILL) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) 8-2
Minnesota 11-11 (5-5); National ranking No. 51
Illinois 19-7 (8-2); National ranking No. 10
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,1,2,5)
Gophers Compete in US Open Qualifier
Six University of Minnesota tennis student-athletes and head coach Chuck Merzbacher competed in the US Open Sectional Qualifier, this weekend at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Baseline Hosting US Open Sectional Qualifier
The Baseline Tennis Center is hosting a US Open Sectional Qualifier with six current Gopher tennis players participating.
Gophers Earn Academic Big Ten Honors
The Gophers totaled 283 Academic All-Big Ten honorees for the 2015-16 academic year.