Minnesota won the first four matches in singles play to beat Purdue 5-2 on Sunday afternoon at Schwartz Tennis Center in West Lafayette, Ind. The match was played indoors because of high winds in the area.
The Gophers improved to 11-6 overall and 6-3 in the Big Ten with the win, while Purdue fell to 10-12 overall and 2-6 in the conference.
The 40th-ranked Gophers uncharacteristically lost the doubles point to the No. 74 Boilermakers to fall into a 1-0 hole.
Leandro Toledo and Juan Pablo Ramirez picked up Minnesota’s lone win in doubles with an 8-5 triumph against Szymon Tatarczyk and Krisztian Krocsko at the second slot.
Minnesota’s top pairing of Julian Dehn and Rok Bonin, who are ranked 21st in the nation, fell 8-6 to unranked Diego Acosta and Aaron Dujovne. Dehn and Bonin are now 13-3 this year and 6-3 in the Big Ten.
Jack Hamburg and Phillip Arndt, who snapped a five-match losing streak yesterday with a win at Indiana, lost 8-5 at third singles to Mark Kovacs and Pawel Poziomski.
The Gophers put their trouble in doubles play behind them and routed Purdue in singles winning the first four matches and five of six overall.
Jack Hamburg got the Gophers going with a 6-3, 6-3 win against Evan Hawkins to tie the overall match 1-1. Julian Dehn then put Minnesota up for good with a 6-3, 6-3 victory against Tatarczyk at third singles.
Phillip Arndt posted a 6-4, 7-6 (2) win at fourth singles against Krocsko and then Toledo clinched the match for the Gophers with a 6-4, 1-6, 6-1 win at second singles against Acosta.
Purdue got on the board in singles with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 win by Kovacs at No. 1 singles against Bonin.
Mathieu Froment completed a successful weekend for Minnesota, who upset Indiana yesterday 4-3, with a 6-2, 6-7 (6-8), 1-0 (10-5) win against Dujovne at the fifth slot.
Minnesota has two regular-season matches remaining this year. They host Big Ten-newcomer Nebraska, who is ranked No. 68, on April 20. The Gophers will also celebrate Senior Day against Nebraska. Minnesota then ends the regular season with a match at Iowa on April 22.
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota vs Purdue
Apr 15, 2012 at West Lafayette, Ind.
(Schwartz Tennis Center)
#40 Minnesota 5, # 74 Purdue 2
1. Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Rok Bonin (MINN) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. #78 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Diego Acosta (PUR) 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
3. Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) 6-3, 6-3
4. Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) 6-2, 6-7 (6-8), 1-0 (10-5)
6. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Evan Hawkins (PUR) 6-3, 6-3
1. Diego Acosta/Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. #21 Julian Dehn / Rok Bonin (MINN) 8-6
2. Leandro Toledo / Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Szymon Tatarczyk/Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) 8-5
3. Mark Kovacs/Pawel Poziomski (PUR) def. Jack Hamburg / Phillip Arndt (MINN) 8-5
Minnesota 11-6 (6-3 Big Ten); National ranking #40
Purdue 10-12 (2-6 Big Ten); National ranking #74
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,3,4,2,1,5)
Winds over 20 MPH have forced today's match inside.