April 14, 2013
No. 40 Minnesota continued its impressive play with a 5-2 victory over No. 58 Purdue this afternoon at the Baseline Tennis Center. The Golden Gophers capitalized on momentum after a doubles win to improve to 7-2 in the Big Ten Conference. The win pushes the team to an overall record of 11-9, guaranteeing a .500 overall record with two matches to go in the regular season.
Rok Bonin and Juan Pablo Ramirez opened the day with an 8-2 doubles over Diego Acosta and Aaron Dujovne from the second doubles position. Needing a second Gopher win for the team point, ones and threes both battled through ad situations. In the end, ones consisting of Mathieu Froment and Jack Hamburg against Krisztian Krocsko and Szymon Tatarczyk finished first with Minnesota out on top (8-5).
At No. 1 singles, Bonin quickly handled Mark Kovacs to a 6-0, 6-2 finish to extend the Gopher lead. The sixth spot finished next with Ruben Weber notching the win over Purdue’s Mateus Silva (6-4, 6-2).
Krocsko was the first to score for the Boilermakers after facing Ramirez at the fifth position to a 6-4, 6-3 finish. Leandro Toledo brought the Gophers back to secure the team victory, defeating Tatarczyk at No. 2. Toledo pushed through in the first to win the tiebreak 7-6 (7-1) and followed with a more dominating 6-4 victory in the second. Froment also won in straight sets after fighting for a tiebreaker win.
The Maroon and Gold travel to Nebraska next Friday for the first of the two remaining conference duals. Match time is set for 3:00 p.m. CT.
Tennis Match Results
April 14, 2013
Baseline Tennis Center
#40 Minnesota 5, #58 Purdue 2
1. Froment/Hamburg (MINN) def. Krocsko/Tatarczyk (PUR) 8-5
2. Bonin/Ramirez (MINN) def. Acosta/ Dujovne (PUR) 8-2
3. Kovacs/Poziomski (PUR) vs. Frueh/Toledo (MINN) 8-5
1. #45 Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Mark Kovacs (PUR) 6-0, 6-2
2. #81 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) 7-6 (7-1), 6-4
3. Diego Acosta (PUR) def. Jack Hamburg (MININ) 6-2, 3-6, 2-1 retired
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-4, 6-3
6. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Mateus Silva (PUR) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 1
Singles: 1, 6, 5, 2, 3, 4
Weber Finishes Second at Lakewood
Ruben Weber finished second at Lakewood while Matic Spec and Felix Corwin picked up a consolation win in doubles at the NIIC.
Gophers Closing Out Fall Season
Felix Corwin and Matic Spec are heading to the NIIC to compete in doubles while four other Gophers wrap up their season at Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
Alpeza Has Strong Tournament
Marino Alpeza won a doubles match and picked up two singles wins at the Big Ten Indoor Championships this weekend.