April 14, 2013
No. 40 Minnesota continued its impressive play with a 5-2 victory over No. 58 Purdue this afternoon at the Baseline Tennis Center. The Golden Gophers capitalized on momentum after a doubles win to improve to 7-2 in the Big Ten Conference. The win pushes the team to an overall record of 11-9, guaranteeing a .500 overall record with two matches to go in the regular season.
Rok Bonin and Juan Pablo Ramirez opened the day with an 8-2 doubles over Diego Acosta and Aaron Dujovne from the second doubles position. Needing a second Gopher win for the team point, ones and threes both battled through ad situations. In the end, ones consisting of Mathieu Froment and Jack Hamburg against Krisztian Krocsko and Szymon Tatarczyk finished first with Minnesota out on top (8-5).
At No. 1 singles, Bonin quickly handled Mark Kovacs to a 6-0, 6-2 finish to extend the Gopher lead. The sixth spot finished next with Ruben Weber notching the win over Purdue’s Mateus Silva (6-4, 6-2).
Krocsko was the first to score for the Boilermakers after facing Ramirez at the fifth position to a 6-4, 6-3 finish. Leandro Toledo brought the Gophers back to secure the team victory, defeating Tatarczyk at No. 2. Toledo pushed through in the first to win the tiebreak 7-6 (7-1) and followed with a more dominating 6-4 victory in the second. Froment also won in straight sets after fighting for a tiebreaker win.
The Maroon and Gold travel to Nebraska next Friday for the first of the two remaining conference duals. Match time is set for 3:00 p.m. CT.
Tennis Match Results
April 14, 2013
Baseline Tennis Center
#40 Minnesota 5, #58 Purdue 2
1. Froment/Hamburg (MINN) def. Krocsko/Tatarczyk (PUR) 8-5
2. Bonin/Ramirez (MINN) def. Acosta/ Dujovne (PUR) 8-2
3. Kovacs/Poziomski (PUR) vs. Frueh/Toledo (MINN) 8-5
1. #45 Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Mark Kovacs (PUR) 6-0, 6-2
2. #81 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) 7-6 (7-1), 6-4
3. Diego Acosta (PUR) def. Jack Hamburg (MININ) 6-2, 3-6, 2-1 retired
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-4, 6-3
6. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Mateus Silva (PUR) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 1
Singles: 1, 6, 5, 2, 3, 4
Gophers Season Comes to a Close
Minnesota finished its season in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament falling to Purdue, 4-1, this afternoon.
Spec Named All-Big Ten
Matic Spec has been named First Team All-Big Ten for his second straight year, the conference announced Thursday.
Gophers Gearing up for B1G Tournament
The University of Minnesota Gophers are set to host the Big Ten Tournament this weekend at the Baseline Tennis Center.