April 11, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The 55th-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team earned the Little Brown Jug Friday night with a 5-2 victory over No. 50-ranked Big Ten rival Michigan at the Baseline Tennis Center. The win avenged a 4-3 loss at the hands of the Wolverines that eliminate the Gophers from the 2013 Big Ten Tournament.
With the triumph, Minnesota improved to 10-10 with a 4-4 mark in the conference and a 6-4 record at home. The Gophers have won 29 times against the Wolverines all-time.
The duo did not finish its match, however, as Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh picked up an 8-5 win over Alex Petrone and Michael Zhu at No. 2 and Franz Sydow and Juan Pablo clinched the first point of the evening with an 8-7 (2) win at No. 3.
Froment doubled Minnesota’s cushion by downing Justin Rossi at No. 4 with a 6-2, 6-2 win and Ruben Weber snapped a two-match skid at No. 2 singles to make it 3-0, dispatching Shaun Bernstein, 6-3, 6-3.
The Wolverines answered with a win at No. 3 singles, but Ramirez secured the win with a straight-set victory at No. 6.
Alex Buzzi added a point for Michigan at No. 5 singles, but 41st-ranked Toledo capped the match with a 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 win over No. 96 Alex Petrone, improving his record to 16-4 at the No. 1 position and extending his win streak to five. He is now 6-1 against ranked opponents.
Minnesota concludes its home schedule and celebrates Ramirez’s Senior Day Sunday at noon. The Gophers will take on Michigan State at the Baseline Tennis Center.
No. 55 Minnesota 5, No. 50 Michigan 2
April 11, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. No. 41 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. No. 96 Alex Petrone (MICH) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Shaun Bernstein (MICH) 6-3, 6-3
3. Vlad Stefan (MICH) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 6-2, 6-4
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Justin Rossi (MICH) 6-2, 6-2
5. Alex Buzzi (MICH) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
6. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Michael Zhu (MICH) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 3, 6, 5, 1
1. No. 19 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) vs. Shaun Bernstein/Kevin Wong (MICH) 7-7, unfinished
2. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Alex Petrone/Michael Zhu (MICH) 8-5
3. Franz Sydow/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Jutin Rossi/Alex Buzzi (MICH) 8-7 (2)
Order of Finish: 2, 3
Gophers Defeat Hoosiers to Open B1G Tournament
The No. 38-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team earned a 4-2 victory over Indiana in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament.
Gophers Set for Big Ten Tournament
The No. 38-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team will begin their postseason run this Thursday in the Big Ten Tournament.
Gophers Finish Regular Season With a Victory
The No. 33-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team completed their regular season this afternoon with a 4-3 win over Indiana.