April 6, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The No. 51 Minnesota men’s tennis team dropped its second home match of the weekend Sunday afternoon when it fell to No. 24 Penn State at the Baseline Tennis Center, 4-1. The Gophers dropped to 9-10 with the loss and fell to 3-5 in Big Ten play.
The loss snapped a five-match winning streak for the Gophers against PSU and moved their all-time record to 19-5 against the Nittany Lions.
Penn State got off to a quick start in doubles, using an 8-2 win by No. 54-ranked Michael Reilly and Chris Young over Franz Sydow and Juan Pablo Ramirez and an 8-5 win by Matt Barry and Roman against Mathieu Froment and Ruben Weber to take a 1-0 lead.
No. 66-ranked Leandro Toledo got the Gophers on the board with a 6-2, 6-4 win over No. 50 Leonard Stakhovsky, moving his win streak to four matches and upping his record to 15-4 with a 5-1 mark against ranked opponents.
The Nittany Lions closed out the match with wins at the Nos. 4, 5, and 2 positions. Russell Bader’s match-clinching win over Weber was a three-set contest.
Next weekend, Minnesota wraps up its home slate with a Friday meeting for the Little Brown Jug with No. 43 Michigan and a Sunday match against 73rd-ranked Michigan State.
No. 24 Penn State 4, No. 51 Minnesota 1
April 6, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. No. 66 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. No. 50 Leonard Stakhovsky (PSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
3. Mathieu Froment (MINN) vs. Alex Fennell (PSU) unfinished
4. Matt Barry (PSU) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-2, 6-1
5. Roman Trkulja (PSU) def. Franz Sydow (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
6. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) vs. Marc Collado Castells (PSU)
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 5, 2
1. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) vs. No. 28 Leonard Stakhovsky/Russell Bader (PSU) unfinished
2. No. 54 Michael Reilly/Chris Young (PSU) def. Franz Sydow/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 8-2
3. Matt Barry/Roman Trkulja (PSU) def. Mathieu Froment/Ruben Weber (MINN) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3
Gophers Off To Hot Start At Regionals
The University of Minnesota got off to a hot start at the ITA Central Region Championships in Okla. today, winning four singles and doubles matches each.
Gophers Head to Central Region Championships
The University of Minnesota Golden Gophers will be traveling to Stillwater, Okla. to compete in the ITA Central Region Championships Oct. 20-24.
Gophers Play Strong Against Ranked Opponents
University of Minnesota student-athletes Felix Corwin and Matic Spec picked up two singles match victories and two doubles match victories at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) ...