April 6, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The No. 51 Minnesota men’s tennis team dropped its second home match of the weekend Sunday afternoon when it fell to No. 24 Penn State at the Baseline Tennis Center, 4-1. The Gophers dropped to 9-10 with the loss and fell to 3-5 in Big Ten play.
The loss snapped a five-match winning streak for the Gophers against PSU and moved their all-time record to 19-5 against the Nittany Lions.
Penn State got off to a quick start in doubles, using an 8-2 win by No. 54-ranked Michael Reilly and Chris Young over Franz Sydow and Juan Pablo Ramirez and an 8-5 win by Matt Barry and Roman against Mathieu Froment and Ruben Weber to take a 1-0 lead.
No. 66-ranked Leandro Toledo got the Gophers on the board with a 6-2, 6-4 win over No. 50 Leonard Stakhovsky, moving his win streak to four matches and upping his record to 15-4 with a 5-1 mark against ranked opponents.
The Nittany Lions closed out the match with wins at the Nos. 4, 5, and 2 positions. Russell Bader’s match-clinching win over Weber was a three-set contest.
Next weekend, Minnesota wraps up its home slate with a Friday meeting for the Little Brown Jug with No. 43 Michigan and a Sunday match against 73rd-ranked Michigan State.
No. 24 Penn State 4, No. 51 Minnesota 1
April 6, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. No. 66 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. No. 50 Leonard Stakhovsky (PSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
3. Mathieu Froment (MINN) vs. Alex Fennell (PSU) unfinished
4. Matt Barry (PSU) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-2, 6-1
5. Roman Trkulja (PSU) def. Franz Sydow (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
6. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) vs. Marc Collado Castells (PSU)
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 5, 2
1. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) vs. No. 28 Leonard Stakhovsky/Russell Bader (PSU) unfinished
2. No. 54 Michael Reilly/Chris Young (PSU) def. Franz Sydow/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 8-2
3. Matt Barry/Roman Trkulja (PSU) def. Mathieu Froment/Ruben Weber (MINN) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3
Spec Stays Hot in Regular Season Finale
4/22/2018 - M. Tennis
Matic Spec won his ninth-straight decision, but the Gopher Men’s Tennis team fell 6-1 to No. 8 Illinois in the Big Ten regular season finale on Sunday afternoon.
No. 35 Minnesota Routs Northwestern, 7-0
4/20/2018 - M. Tennis
The Gophers made it two-straight sweeps and three-straight victories as No. 35 Minnesota defeated Northwestern 7-0 in the penultimate match-up of the Big Ten season.
No. 35 Gophers Wrap Up Regular Season in Illinois
4/18/2018 - M. Tennis
The No. 35 Gopher Men’s Tennis team will wrap up the Big Ten regular season on the road this week taking on Northwestern and No. 8 Illinois.