Toledo Upsets Kobelt, Gophers Fall to OSU
April 4, 2014
The No. 51 Minnesota men's tennis team dropped a 5-2 contest to top-ranked Ohio State Friday afternoon at the Baseline Tennis Center. In the match, No. 66-ranked Leandro Toledo toppled eighth-ranked Peter Kobelt in straight sets to improve to 14-4 on the season at the top position.
The Gophers fell to 9-9 on the season with the loss, including a 3-3 mark in the Big Ten. The Buckeyes have won the last 14 meetings between the two teams.
Without junior Jack Hamburg in the lineup in doubles, the Gophers were forced to shuffle their pairings. Playing at No. 3 with Hamburg's normal No. 1 doubles partner, Mathieu Froment, was Ruben Weber, who had competed in doubles in only one other match this season. Froment and Weber fell short against OSU's Hunter Callahan and Chris Diaz, losing 8-5.
Toledo and Eric Frueh, who had played 13 matches together at Nos. 2 and 3, dropped a tight decision at No. 1, falling in a tiebreaker to Kobelt and Ralf Steinbach, 8-7 (2).
Steinbach and the No. 97 ranked Callahan won at Nos. 5 and 6, respectively, to start singles and give Ohio State a 3-0 lead.
The next match to finish was Toledo's. The junior southpaw downed Kobelt 6-1 in the first set and took a 5-2 lead in the second set before the redshirt senior All-American rallied to take a 6-5 lead. Toledo then knotted the set at six and completed the victory by winning in the tiebreaker, 7-5. The loss was Kobelt's third of the season and was the fourth of his career in Big Ten singles play.
No. 109 Kevin Metka clinched the team win for Ohio State with a tight win over Frueh at No. 4 and Herkko Pollanen made it 5-1 by eking out a three-set win over Weber, but Froment capped the night with a 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 triumph over Chris Diaz at the No. 3 spot.
Minnesota picks up play Sunday against No. 24 Penn State at noon at the Baseline Tennis Center.
No. 1 Ohio State 5, No. 51 Minnesota 2
April 4, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. No. 66 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. No. 8 Peter Kobelt (OSU) 6-1, 7-6 (5)
2. Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
3. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Chris Diaz (OSU) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
4. No. 109 Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
5. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Jeremy Lynn (MINN) 6-1, 6-1
6. No. 97 Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-1
1. Peter Kobelt/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) 8-7 (2)
2. Franz Sydow/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) vs. Kevin Metka/Marko Goles-Babic (OSU) unfinished
3. Hunter Callahan/Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Mathieu Froment/Ruben Weber (MINN) 8-5
Ohio State 22-2 (7-0 B1G); National ranking No. 1
Minnesota 9-9 (3-3 B1G); National ranking No. 51
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,6,1,4,2,3)