March 30, 2014
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The 50th-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team bounced back from a Friday loss to Purdue to take down No. 65 Indiana at the IU Tennis Complex in Bloomington, Ind. Sunday, 4-3.
The victory gives Minnesota a 9-8 overall record on the season and a 3-2 mark in Big Ten play. The triumph was the team’s second on the road this season.
The match began with a strong showing by the Gophers in doubles play. Eric Frueh and Leandro Toledo opened with an 8-6 win at No. 2 and Juan Pablo Ramirez and Franz Sydow clinched the first point of the match with an 8-4 win at No. 3.
The momentum from doubles carried over into singles, where the No. 66-ranked Toledo was the first player to finish. He downed Sven Lalic in straight set sets in the top flight.
Indiana responded by claiming three consecutive singles wins at the Nos. 5, 3, and 6 positions to steal a 3-2 lead.
Froment then came through at the No. 4 spot to re-tie the score, prevailing 7-6 (4), 6-1 over Elliott Yee.
The match came down to No. 2 singles, where Ruben Weber outlasted Daniel Bednarczyk in three sets. Weber dropped a 9-7 tiebreaker in the second set after pulling ahead with a 7-5 win in the first, but completed the win by taking the third set, 6-4.
The Gophers return home for a four-match homestand next weekend. They will take on second-ranked Ohio State and No. 23 Penn State.
No. 50 Minnesota 4, No. 65 Indiana 3
March 30, 2014
IU Tennis Complex | Bloomington, Ind.
1. No. 66 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Sven Lalic (IND) 6-2, 6-4
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Daniel Bednarczyk (IND) 7-5, 6-7 (7), 6-4
3. Dimitrije Tasic (IND) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 6-3, 6-2
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Elliott Yee (IND) 7-6 (4), 6-1
5. Chris Essick (IND) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-1, 6-4
6. Michael Sellitto (IND) def. Tucker Saxon (MINN) 7-6 (4), 6-1
1. Dimitrije Tasic/Sven Lalic (IND) vs. No. 19 Mathieu Froment/Jack Hamburg (MINN) 7-7 (6-6), unfinished
2. Eric Frueh/Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Daniel Bednarczyk/Chris Essick (IND) 8-6
3. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) def. Elliott Yee/Michael Sellitto (IND) 8-4
Minnesota 9-8; National ranking #50
Indiana 11-11; National ranking #65
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,5,3,6,4,2)
Five to open fall tournament season this week
The University of Minnesota will be represented by five Men’s Tennis athletes this week as the Gophers split time between a pair of high level tournaments beginning Thursday.
Gophers in the Polls: Sept. 13
The University of Minnesota continues to represent at a high level as multiple Golden Gopher teams achieved national rankings this week.
Duo to represent the U of M at ITA All-American
Seniors Matic Spec and Felix Corwin will represent the University of Minnesota at the ITA Men's All-American Championships.