March 28, 2014
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – The 50th-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team suffered its second Big Ten loss of the season Friday, dropping a 6-1 decision at the hands of No. 41-ranked Purdue. Entering a road clash with No. 65 Indiana Sunday, the Gophers will now be 8-8 overall with a 2-2 mark in conference play.
The match got off to auspicious start for the Gophers who received an 8-5 win from 19th-ranked doubles duo Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment at the No. 1 flight.
The victory extended the tandem’s winning streak to 11 matches.
Purdue, however, got back on track at No. 2 doubles with an 8-3 win by Szymon Tatarczyk and Ricky Medinilla. The Boilermakers clinched the match’s first point at the No. 3 spot win an 8-7 win by Mateus Silva and Mark Kovacs against Juan Pablo Ramirez and Franz Sydow.
The momentum carried over into singles for the home squad, which used straight-set wins from Diego Acosta at No. 5 and Medinilla at No. 2 to reach the cusp of a win. Kovacs sealed the victory with a 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 3.
Leandro Toledo got the Gophers on the board with a 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (8) super tiebreaker triumph against Tatarczyk in the top flight, but Purdue closed out the match with wins at Nos. 6 and 4.
The Gophers pick up play and finish their trip to Indiana Saturday at 11 a.m. CT against the Hoosiers in Bloomington. They will begin a four-match homestand next weekend with matches against Ohio State and Penn State at the Baseline Tennis Center.
No. 41 Purdue 6, No. 50 Minnesota 1
March 28, 2014
Basham Courts (Schwartz Tennis Center) |West Lafayette, Ind.
1. No. 66 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (8)
2. Ricky Medinilla (PUR) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-2, 6-4
3. Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 6-3, 6-4
4. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 7-5, 6-1
5. Diego Acosta (PUR) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-1, 6-0
6. Mateus Silva (PUR) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-2, 7-5
1. No. 19 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Aaron Dujovne/Diego Acosta (PUR) 8-5
2. Szymon Tatarczyk/Ricky Medinilla (PUR) def. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) 8-3
3. Mateus Silva/Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) 8-7
Minnesota 8-7, 2-2 Big Ten; National ranking #50
Purdue 10-3, 2-1 Big Ten; National ranking #41
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,2,3,1,6,4)
Gophers Ranked In Singles and Doubles
Felix Corwin and Matic Spec have been ranked No. 48 in the Oracle/ITA Division I Men's National Doubles Rankings while Spec is ranked No. 42 in the singles rankings.
Gophers Sign Kaleb Dobbs
University of Minnesota head coach Geoff Young has announced the signing of Kaleb Dobbs on Tuesday.
Allen Signs With Gophers
University of Minnesota head coach Geoff Young has announced the signing of Jackson Allen Monday.