March 24, 2013
Minnesota’s focus on the doubles side of competition paid off this afternoon as the No. 61 Gophers edged the No. 31 Wolverines of Michigan, 4-3, in Ann Arbor, Mich. The win brings Minnesota to 2-1 in league play (6-8 overall), while the conference loss was the first for Michigan this season.
It was a clutch day for the Gophers, as the team worked to comeback from deficits to earn team points in both the doubles and the singles competition. After falling in the No. 1 doubles match, the second and third positions stepped up. Rok Bonin and Juan Pablo Ramirez teamed up and downed Alex Petrone and Michael Zhu, 8-6. Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh clinched the doubles point for the Maroon and Gold by defeating Barrett Franks and Shaun Bernstein by the same mark.
Michigan retaliated on the singles side, winning the opening three matches to force the Gophers into a must-win situation. Minnesota stepped up to the challenge and would win out the final three games to take home the Little Brown Jug. Ruben Weber kept the team alive with a three-set victory over Alex Buzzi (6-2, 3-6, 6-1). Outranked by his opponent, Toledo was the next to finish with a tiebreaker win over No. 76 Vlad Stefan (7-5, 4-6, 7-6(5)) in the second position. With the score tied at three, it came down to the guys at number five; Ramirez and Zhu. After the players split the first two sets, Ramirez muscled out the victory with a 6-4 finish in the third.
The Gophers return to Minneapolis for their next pair of competitions. First Minnesota welcomes Northwestern on March 29 for an evening match at 6 p.m. Two days later on March 31, Illinois will visit for a noon battle.
Tennis Match Results
March 24, 2013
Ann Arbor, Mich.
Minnesota 4, Michigan 3
1. #37 Evan King/Alex Buzzi (MICH) def. Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN), 8-3
2. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Alex Petrone/Michael Zhu (MICH), 8-6
3. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Barrett Franks/Shaun Bernstein (MICH), 8-6
1. #15 Evan King (MICH) def. #36 Rok Bonin (MINN), 6-1, 6-2
2. #102 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. #76 Vlad Stefan (MICH), 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (5)
3. Alex Petrone (MICH) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN), 6-2, 6-1
4. Barrett Franks (MICH) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN), 7-6 (4), 6-4
5. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Michael Zhu (MICH), 7-5, 6-7 (4), 6-4
6. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Alex Buzzi (MICH), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 3, 4, 1, 6, 2, 5
First Serve With George Lovitt
George Lovitt comes to Minnesota after winning the North Carolina State Championship and being named the Charlotte Observer North Carolina Player of the Year.
First Serve With Eli Ogilvy
GopherSports.com sat down with the Mississauga, Ont. Native to find out more from about his freshman year at Minnesota.
First Serve With Stefan Milicevic
The Belgrade, Serbia native posted a 5-2 record in both singles and doubles matches this fall. Gophersports.com sat down with Milicevic to ask him some questions about his college...