March 23, 2014
The Minnesota men’s tennis team improved to 8-7 overall and 2-1 in Big Ten play when it topped Nebraska 5-2 on Sunday afternoon at Baseline Tennis Center.
The 50th-ranked Gophers improved to 12-2 all-time against Nebraska and have won the last 12 meetings between the two schools. Minnesota also won 5-2 last season at Nebraska.
Minnesota jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the match against No. 60 Nebraska when it won the doubles point. Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh got Minnesota on the board first with an 8-2 win against Marc Herrmann and Beauregard Treyz at second doubles.
The Gophers’ top duo, No. 16 Mathieu Froment and Jack Hamburg, secured the point for the Maroon and Gold with an 8-7 (6) triumph versus Brandon Videtich and Bradford Zitsch at first doubles. Froment and Hamburg have now won 10 straight matches and are 10-1 in the spring season.
Hamburg made it 2-0 Minnesota with a 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 3 singles against Herrmann. Hamburg is now 9-4 this spring and 3-0 in the Big Ten.
Hamburg’s partner Froment pushed Minnesota’s lead to 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-4 against Andrew Dzulynsky at fourth singles. Froment is now 8-5 in the spring and 3-0 in the Big Ten.
Ruben Weber clinched the match for Minnesota with a 6-1, 7-5 win at No. 2 singles with a 6-1, 7-5 win against Tom Blackwell. The win was Weber’s second in the Big Ten this year and his eighth in dual-match play.
The Gophers’ final win came from Juan Pablo Ramirez, as the senior defeated Bradford Zitsch 7-6 (2), 6-3.
Minnesota returns to action on March 28 at Purdue and then travels to Indiana for a March 30 match.
No. 50 Minnesota 5, No. 60 Nebraska 2
March 23, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. Dusty Boyer (NEB) def. No. 72 Leandro Toledo (MINN) 6-7 (2), 6-3, 1-0 (4)
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Tom Blackwell (NEB) 6-1, 7-5
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Marc Herrmann (NEB) 7-5, 6-1
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Andrew Dzulynsky (NEB) 6-2, 6-4
5. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Bradford Zitsch (NEB) 7-6 (2), 6-3
6. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NEB) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 7-6 (7), 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2, 1, 5, 6
1. No. 16 Mathieu Froment / Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NEB) 8-7 (6)
2. Leandro Toledo / Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Marc Herrmann/ Beauregard Treyz (NEB) 8-2
3. Franz Sydow / Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) vs. Scott Elsass/Dusty Boyer (NEB) unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 1
Spec Places Second at Regionals
University of Minnesota’s Matic Spec fell in a hard fought finals match at the ITA Central Region Championships Monday.
Spec Plays Into Regional Finals
University of Minnesota’s Matic Spec advanced to the finals of the ITA Central Region Championships Sunday in Stillwater, Okla.
Spec Advances to Quarterfinals at Regionals
Minnesota student-athlete Matic Spec is advancing to the main singles draw quarterfinals at the ITA Central Region Championships after a victory Saturday in Stillwater, Okla.