March 19, 2013
The No. 58 Minnesota men’s tennis team lost another close match this afternoon when it fell to the No. 70 University of Miami, 4-3, at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in Coral Gables, Fla. The Gophers drop to 4-8 on the season while the Hurricanes improve to 11-5.
After Miami took the first doubles match 8-2, Minnesota muscled out the doubles point to start the match with a 1-0 lead, notching wins at the second and third positions. Rok Bonin and Juan Pablo Ramirez came together to defeat Diego Soto and Gabriel Flores (8-5). Eric Frueh and Leandro Toledo followed closely with a victory over Marco Stancati and Henrique Tsukamoto by the same margin.
The Maroon and Gold managed to keep the lead until the very end as the two teams traded points in the singles side of competition. First, Miami’s William Albanese defeated Ruben Weber in two sets by scores of 7-5 and 6-3 at the sixth position. The Gophers answered with a first-position win from Bonin. Bonin defeated Flores 6-3, 6-4 to retain the overall lead in the match.
At No. 3, Ramirez was next to put a tally in the win column, besting Stancati (7-6, 6-4) to give the Gophers a two-point lead. However, the Hurricanes pushed back to tie the match at three. The result came down to the match-up between Hamburg and Aly at the fourth position. Hamburg came out on top in the first set, winning 6-3, but suffered a setback in the second. The decisive third set was a close one but in the end came out in favor of Miami.
Up next, the team will remain on the road. The squad will face Michigan State in East Lansing on Saturday and follow-up the next day against Michigan in Ann Arbor.
Tennis Match Results
March 19, 2013
Coral Gables, Fla.
Neil Schiff Tennis Center
#70 Miami 4, #58 Minnesota 3
1. Aly/Gonzalez (MIAMI) def. Froment/Hamburg (MINN) 8-2
2. Bonin/Ramirez (MINN) def. Soto/Flores (MIAMI) 8-5
3. Frueh/Toledo (MINN) def. Stancati/Tsukamoto (MIAMI) 8-5
1. #36 Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Gabriel Flores (MIAMI) 6-3, 6-4
2. Diego Soto (MIAMI) def. #102 Leandro Toledo (MINN) 6-3, 3-6, 3-6
3. Wilfredo Gonzalez (MIAMI) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 7-5, 6-3
4. Omar Aly (MIAMI) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6
5. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Marco Stancati (MIAMI) 7-6, 6-4
6. William Albanese (MIAMI) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 7-5, 6-3
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 6, 1, 5, 3, 2, 4