March 18, 2014
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The No. 50 Minnesota men’s tennis team got its record back to .500 in its final non-conference match of the regular season, improving to 7-7 with a 7-0 defeat of Florida Gulf Coast at the FGCU Tennis Complex in Fort Myers, Fla. Tuesday night.
The Gophers won for the first time on the road in five attempts after coming into the match off losses out west to Washington and then-No. 20 Boise State.
Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh got Minnesota off to a fast start in doubles by downing Tianyu Bao and Lance Lvovsky, 8-6, at the No. 2 doubles position. Sixteenth-ranked Mathieu Froment and Jack Hamburg were trailing 7-5 to Jordi Vives and Dean Tsamas at the top spot, but the competition ended when Franz Sydow and Juan Pablo Ramirez clinched the first point of the evening with an 8-5 triumph over Lucas Vaz and Chirs Perrigan at No. 3.
No. 72-ranked Toledo picked up where he left off in doubles in the singles competition, doubling the Gophers’ lead by dispatching 70th-ranked Vives, 6-0, 6-4, in the top flight. Toledo improved to 11-3 overall and 3-1 against ranked foes on the year dropping Vives to 10-2.
Hamburg extended Minnesota’s advantage with a straight-set win at the third singles spot, allowing Frueh to clinch the match and give the Gophers a 4-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-3 victory at No. 5.
Froment, Sydow, and Ruben Weber polished off the team’s first 7-0 shutout win of the season with wins at the No. 4, 6, and 2 positions, respectively.
Minnesota, 1-1 in the Big Ten, resumes action against conference opponent and 60th-ranked Nebraska at the Baseline Tennis Center Sunday at noon.
No. 50 Minnesota 7, Florida Gulf Coast 0
March 18, 2014
FGCU Tennis Complex | Fort Myers, Fla.
1. No. 72 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. No. 70 Jordi Vives (FGCU) 6-0, 6-4
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Tianyu Bao (FGCU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (6)
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Lucas Vaz (FGCU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
5. Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Franz Sydow (MINN) def. Gabriel Echeverry (FGCU) 7-6 (5), 6-3
1. Jordi Vives/Dean Tsamas (FGCU) vs. No. 16 Mathieu Froment/Jack Hamburg (MINN) unfinished
2. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Tianyu Bao/Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) 8-6
3. Franz Sydow/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Lucas Vaz/Chirs Perrigan (FGCU) 8-5
Florida Gulf 6-8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,3,5,4,6,2)
No. 25 Ranked Gophers Fall to No. 8 Oklahoma State
The No. 25 University of Minnesota men’s tennis team lost their second match of the season Friday night by a score of 5-2 to No. 8 Oklahoma State.
No. 25 Gophers Set to Host No. 8 Oklahoma State
The No. 25 ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team continues their five-match homestand at Baseline Tennis Center this weekend with a 6 p.m. match on Friday night against...
Minnesota Breaks Into the ITA Top 25
The University of Minnesota Golden Gopher men's tennis team broke into the ITA National Rankings Tuesday, coming in at No. 25.