March 9, 2014
BOISE, Idaho – The No. 42 Minnesota men’s tennis team dropped its second match in a row and fell to 6-7 on the season Sunday, falling 5-2 to 20th-ranked Boise State at the Boise Racquet and Swim Club in Idaho. The Gophers lost by the same score to Washington in its weekend opener Friday.
BSU got off to a quick start, preventing the Gophers’ No. 1 doubles tandem of Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment, the 22nd-ranked pair in the nation, from having the opportunity to push its win streak to 10 by taking victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions.
Andy Bettles and Thomas Tenreiro beat Eric Fruehh and Leandro Toledo, 8-5, at No. 2 and Toby Mitchell and Nathan Sereke defeated Juan Pablo Ramirez and Franz Sydow, 8-3, at No. 3 to give the Broncos a 1-0 lead.
The 84th-ranked Toledo took down No. 83 Bettles at the top position, 6-3, 6-3, to even the score. Toledo is now 2-1 against ranked opponents on the season.
Boise State reclaimed the lead and was one win away from team victory with wins by Brendan McClain at No. 5 and Thomas Tenreiro at No. 3, but Weber temporarily quelled the match-clinching effort with a 6-4, 7-6 (2) win over Sereke at No. 2.
Garrett Patton sealed the win by triumphing at No. 4 and BSU’s Brian Foley capped the day with a win at No. 6 to make it a 5-2 finish.
The Gophers next play March 18 when they travel to Florida Gulf Coast to finish non-conference play.
No. 20 Boise State 5, No. 42 Minnesota 2
March 9, 2014
Boise Racquet and Swim Club | Boise, Idaho
1. No. 84 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. No. 83 Andy Bettles (BSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 6-4, 7-6 (2)
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
5. Brendan McClain (BSU) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-2, 6-4
6. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 3, 2, 4, 6
1. No. 22 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) led Brendan McClain/Garrett Patton (BSU) 6-4, unfinished
2. Andy Bettles/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Eric Frueh/Leandro Toledo (MINN) 8-5
3. Toby Mitchell/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3
Minnesota Breaks Into the ITA Top 25
The University of Minnesota Golden Gopher men's tennis team broke into the ITA National Rankings Tuesday, coming in at No. 25.
Gophers Finish Weekend With Win Over Oregon
The University of Minnesota men’s tennis team won their second match of the weekend with a 5-2 victory over Oregon.
Coach Young Wins 200th Career Match
The Gophers began their homestand Friday night against Middle Tennessee State and picked up their eighth victory of the season by a score of 6-1.