March 9, 2014
BOISE, Idaho – The No. 42 Minnesota men’s tennis team dropped its second match in a row and fell to 6-7 on the season Sunday, falling 5-2 to 20th-ranked Boise State at the Boise Racquet and Swim Club in Idaho. The Gophers lost by the same score to Washington in its weekend opener Friday.
BSU got off to a quick start, preventing the Gophers’ No. 1 doubles tandem of Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment, the 22nd-ranked pair in the nation, from having the opportunity to push its win streak to 10 by taking victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions.
Andy Bettles and Thomas Tenreiro beat Eric Fruehh and Leandro Toledo, 8-5, at No. 2 and Toby Mitchell and Nathan Sereke defeated Juan Pablo Ramirez and Franz Sydow, 8-3, at No. 3 to give the Broncos a 1-0 lead.
The 84th-ranked Toledo took down No. 83 Bettles at the top position, 6-3, 6-3, to even the score. Toledo is now 2-1 against ranked opponents on the season.
Boise State reclaimed the lead and was one win away from team victory with wins by Brendan McClain at No. 5 and Thomas Tenreiro at No. 3, but Weber temporarily quelled the match-clinching effort with a 6-4, 7-6 (2) win over Sereke at No. 2.
Garrett Patton sealed the win by triumphing at No. 4 and BSU’s Brian Foley capped the day with a win at No. 6 to make it a 5-2 finish.
The Gophers next play March 18 when they travel to Florida Gulf Coast to finish non-conference play.
No. 20 Boise State 5, No. 42 Minnesota 2
March 9, 2014
Boise Racquet and Swim Club | Boise, Idaho
1. No. 84 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. No. 83 Andy Bettles (BSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 6-4, 7-6 (2)
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
5. Brendan McClain (BSU) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-2, 6-4
6. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 3, 2, 4, 6
1. No. 22 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) led Brendan McClain/Garrett Patton (BSU) 6-4, unfinished
2. Andy Bettles/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Eric Frueh/Leandro Toledo (MINN) 8-5
3. Toby Mitchell/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3
Four Gophers earn ITA Scholar Athlete honors
The Intercollegiate Tennis Association announced its 2017 All-Academic Teams and Scholar Athletes with four Golden Gophers and the University of Minnesota team making the cut.
Milicevic Earns ITA Central Region Award
The University of Minnesota’s Stefan Milicevic was named the ITA Central Region Rookie of the Year Monday while the team was awarded the ITA Central Region Community Service Award.
Gophers Fall to Yellow Jackets at NCAAs
The No. 39-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team fell to No. 19 Georgia Tech in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.