March 8, 2014
SEATTLE – The 42nd-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team fell to .500 on the season Friday with a 5-2 loss at the hands of Washington Friday night at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle, Wash. The Gophers won the doubles point before succumbing to the Huskies in five of six singles matches.
UW gained an advantage in doubles with an 8-5 win by Jeff Hawke and Wendell over Juan Pablo Ramierz and Franz Sydow. The 22nd-ranked combination of Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment got the Gophers back on track with their ninth-straight win at No. 1, an 8-4 decision.
All of the singles matches finished in straight sets.
Viktor Farkas, Egger, Gal Hakak, and Hawke all won in singles for the Huskies to clinch the match. Daffra Sanon added a fifth win before 84th-ranked Toledo gave the Gophers their only singles win at No. 1.
Egger’s win over Hamburg snapped a seven-match win steak for the junior South Dakota native.
The Gophers resume action Sunday at 1 p.m. CT against No. 20 Boise State. They then travel to Florida Gulf Coast March 18.
Washington 5, No. 42 Minnesota 2
March 7, 2014
Nordstrom Tennis Center | Seattle, Wash.
1. No.84 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Max Manthou (WASH) 7-6, 6-4
2. Gal Hakak (WASH) def. Ruben Weber (MINN), 6-4, 6-2
3. Emmett Egger (WASH) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN), 6-3, 6-4
4. Jeff Hawke (WASH) def. Pepe Froment (MINN), 6-3, 6-2
5. Viktor Farkas (WASH) def. Jeremy Lynn (MINN), 6-1, 6-0
6. Daffra Sanon (WASH) def. Franz Sydow (MINN), 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 2, 4, 6, 1
1. No. 22 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Viktor Farkas/Max Manthou (WASH) 8-4
2. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Michael Chamerski/Emmett Egger (WASH) 8-7
3. Jeff Hawke/Wendell Watanabe (WASH) def. Juan Pablo Ramierz/Franz Sydow (MINN), 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Gophers to Finish Homestand at Baseline
The No. 33-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team completes their homestand this weekend with matches against Illinois and Northwestern.
Gophers Win Second Straight Big Ten Match
The No. 32-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team defeated the University of Iowa 5-2 and picked up their second consecutive conference victory.
Gophers Take Down Nebraska for First Conference Win
The No. 32 University of Minnesota picked up their first Big Ten victory Friday with a 7-0 win over the Nebraska Cornhuskers.