With the match on the line, Josip Krstanovic came up big for his team in Sundays 4-3 win against Portland.
Krstanovic was down to the final set of the match on the road and grinded out a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 win in the No. 6 singles spot, breaking the 3-3 deadlock the Gophers held with the Pilots, and sent his team home undefeated on the weekend.
Minnesota won the first doubles match of the day, with Matic Spec and Felix Corwin taking No. 1 doubles 6-2. But, their hot start dissipated, losing both No. 2 and No.3 doubles, and conceding the doubles point for the match.
The Gophers then won their first three singles matches, with Spec winning No. 2 singles 7-6, 6-0, Corwin winning No. 1 singles 6-4, 6-3, and Stefan Milicevic winning No. 3 singles 6-3, 6-4.
After dropping No. 4 and No. 5 singles, the match was left to be decided by Krstanovic, his win ultimately giving Minnesota the team win.
MINNESOTA 4, Portland 3
- Felix Corwin (MINN) def. Michail Pervolarakis (PORT) 6-4, 6-3
- Matic Spec (MINN) def. Mathieu Garcia (PORT) 7-6, 6-0
- Stefan Milicevic (MINN) def. Pierre Garcia (PORT) 6-3, 6-4
- Carlos Donat (PORT) def. Eli Ogilvy (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
- Alex Wallace (PORT) def. Jackson Allen (MINN) 7-5, 6-1
- Josip Krstanovic (MINN) def. Tom Hann (PORT) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
- M. Spec/ F. Corwin (MINN) def. A. Wallace/M. Pervolarakis (PORT) 6-
- M. Garcia/P. Garcia def. J. Krstanovic/J. Levin (MINN) 7-6
- C. Donat/J. Fisher (PORT) def. V. Lobak/E. Ogilvy (MINN) 6-4
Order of Finish
Doubles: (1,3,2) Singles (2,1,3,5,4,6)
UCF Snaps Gophers' Winning Streak at Six
3/14/2018 - M. Tennis
The Gophers saw their six-dual winning streak snapped as the team fell 4-2 against UCF at on Wednesday evening.
Gophers Return to the Court Wednesday vs UCF
3/12/2018 - M. Tennis
The Gopher Men’s Tennis Team will return to competition Wednesday after a well-earned 10-day break as the team faces off with UCF on Wednesday.
Lobak Steps In and Steps Up In Rookie Season
3/8/2018 - M. Tennis
Freshman Vlad Lobak had yet to appear in a doubles match for the Gopher Men’s Tennis team during the spring season, but when his number was called, he answered.