March 3, 2013
The No. 66 Minnesota Golden Gophers notched their fourth win of the season today with a commanding 6-1 upset over the visiting No. 14 Washington Huskies.
Minnesota set the tone with an impressive doubles round. After the No. 3 duo of Eric Frueh and Leandro Toledo feel to Washington’s pair of Marton Bots and Jeff Hawke (8-2), the second and first positions stepped up their game to secure the team point. At No. 2, Rok Bonin and Juan Pablo Ramirez defeated Hudson Barnhart and Max Manthou, 8-6, after an ad fight. Seconds later, Mathieu Froment and Jack Hamburg downed Emmett Egger and Kyle McMorrow in the same fashion.
Hamburg made quick work of Viktor Fargas in singles, finishing his match, a 6-2, 6-2 victory, far ahead of the rest of the flight. The success continued in the third, sixth, fifth, and second Gopher positions. After winning the first set 6-3, Froment tallied a mark of 5-2 in the second before delivering an overhand smash for the win. Ruben Weber also notched a two-set victory, a 6-4, 6-4 mark, over Nicholas Kamisar, to ensure the enlightened victory for the team.
Ramirez and Toledo added to the dominating effort with wins of their own. Ramirez finished off Jeff Hawke (7-5, 6-2) at No. 5. At No. 2, Toledo overcame Bots through multiple tiebreakers to make the score 6-0 in favor of the Maroon and Gold.
At the first position, McMorrow saved the Huskies from a shutout by defeating Bonin in one of the tightest matches of the day. Bonin held his own against the No. 19-ranked player, winning the first set 6-3 and hanging in to a 7-5 game in the third.
The team will take a break from action for the next two weeks, returning for a road trip to Miami, Fla. to face Miami on March 19 at 1:00 p.m. CT.
Tennis Match Results
March 3, 2013
Baseline Tennis Center
#66 Minnesota 6, #14 Washington 1
1. Froment/Hamburg (MINN) def. Egger/McMorrow (WASH), 8-6
2. Bonin/Ramirez (MINN) def. Barnhart/Manthou (WASH), 8-6
3. Bots/Hawke (WASH) def. Frueh/Toledo (MINN), 8-3
1. #19 Kyle McMorrow (WASH) def. #48 Rok Bonin (MINN), 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. #94 Leandro Toledo (MINN) vs. #116 Marton Bots (WASH), 7-6 (7-3), 5-7, 1-0 (7)
3. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Max Manthou (WASH), 6-3, 6-2
4. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Viktor Fargas (WASH), 6-2, 6-2
5. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Jeff Hawke (WASH), 7-5, 6-2
6. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Nicholas Kamisar (WASH), 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 4, 3, 6, 5, 2, 1