March 1, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The 47th-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team picked up its first Big Ten conference win of the season Saturday afternoon at the Baseline Tennis Center, defeating No. 49 Wisconsin 5-2. The victory was the Gophers’ second in a row after it snapped a three-match losing steak.
All-time, Minnesota is now 59-48 against the Badgers and is 6-5 on the year with a 1-1 mark in league action.
The Badgers got an advantage in doubles play when John Zordani and Alexander Kokorev pulled out an 8-5 win at No. 2, but the Gophers mounted a comeback.
No. 22-ranked Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment won their eight match in a row at No. 1, downing Petr Satral and Jakhongir Jalalov, 8-4, and Juan Pablo Ramirez and Franz Sydow clinched the first point with an 8-5 triumph at No. 3.
Leandro Toledo padded Minnesota’s lead with a straight-set win at No. 1 singles. The No. 84-ranked player in the nation topped Oskar Wikberg. Froment put the Gophers on the cusp of a win by dispatching Jalalov at No. 4 and Hamburg won his seventh singles match in a row to seal the team win at No. 3. The Rapid City, S.D. native beat Satral, 6-3, 1-6, 7-5.
No. 2 singles sophomore Ruben Weber sandwiched a three-set comeback win over Kokorev between Badger wins at Nos. 5 and 6 to finish the match.
The Gophers, who have played seven of their last eight at home, pick up play Friday at Washington and play again next Sunday at Boise State.
No. 47 Minnesota 5, No. 49 Wisconsin 2
March 1, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
1. No. 84 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Oskar Wikberg (WISC) 6-4, 6-4
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Alexander Kokorev (WISC) 5-7, 7-6 (3), 6-1
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Petr Satral (WISC) 6-3, 1-6, 7-5
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (WISC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Elliott Sprecher (WISC) def. Jeremy Lynn (MINN) 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
6. John Zordani (WISC) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 3, 5, 2, 6
1. No. 22 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Petr Satral/Jakhongir Jalalov (WISC) 8-4
2. John Zordani/Alexander Kokorev (WISC) def. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) 8-5
3. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) def. vs. Elliott Sprecher/Oskar Wikberg (WISC) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
Summer Update: Levin and Sprinkel
Gophsports.com caught up with Justyn Levin and Jesse Sprinkel on what they have been doing this summer.
Summer Update: Corwin and Spec
Gophsports.com caught up with Felix Corwin and Matic Spec on what they have been doing this summer.
Summer Update: Alpeza and Krstanovic
Gophsports.com caught up with Marino Alpeza and Josip Krstanovic on what they have been doing this summer.