Feb. 23, 2013
Opening the Big Ten Conference regular season, the No. 40 Minnesota Golden Gophers fell to the No. 75 Wisconsin Badgers by a score of 4-3 this afternoon in Madison, Wis. The Gophers won the necessary two of three doubles matches to gain the team point, but faltered on the singles side to come up short.
Wisconsin’s No. 2 duo of Alexander Kokorev and Petr Satral was the first to pull out the doubles victory, winning 8-2 over Minnesota’s Jack Hamburg and Brendan Ruddock. The Gophers ended it there and won the next two battles by scores of 8-6. Rok Bonin and Mathieu Froment defeated Billy Bertha and Oskar Wikberg, while Eric Frueh and Leandro Toledo bested Jakhongir Jalalov and Alexander Kostanov.
Bonin and Toledo continued their reign into the singles action. Both were able to pick up victories for the Gophers to keep them in the game. Bonin was the first to finish, grabbing the 6-2, 6-1 win over Wikberg at the No. 1 position. The Badgers took the next two in straight sets before Toledo tallied his win against Bertha with 7-6 (7-5), 6-1.
Men’s tennis returns to Minneapolis next weekend where they will welcome Drake and Washington to Baseline Tennis Center on Friday and Sunday, respectively.
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota vs Wisconsin
Feb 23, 2013 at Madison, Wis.
(Nielsen Tennis Stadium)
#75 Wisconsin 4, #40 Minnesota 3
1. Rok Bonin/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Billy Bertha/Oskar Wikberg (WIS) 8-6
2. Alexander Kokorev/Petr Satral (WIS) def. Jack Hamburg/Brendan Ruddock (MINN) 8-2
3. Eric Frueh/Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Jakhongir Jalalov/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) 8-6
1. Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Oskar Wikberg (WIS) 6-2, 6-1
2. Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Billy Bertha (WIS) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
3. Petr Satral (WIS) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
4. Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
5. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
6. Alexander Kokorev (WIS) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
No. 37 Gophers Head to B1G Tournament in Iowa
4/24/2018 - M. Tennis
The No. 37-ranked Gopher Men’s Tennis team will travel south to Iowa City for the Big Ten Tournament this weekend at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Center.
Spec Stays Hot in Regular Season Finale
4/22/2018 - M. Tennis
Matic Spec won his ninth-straight decision, but the Gopher Men’s Tennis team fell 6-1 to No. 8 Illinois in the Big Ten regular season finale on Sunday afternoon.
No. 35 Minnesota Routs Northwestern, 7-0
4/20/2018 - M. Tennis
The Gophers made it two-straight sweeps and three-straight victories as No. 35 Minnesota defeated Northwestern 7-0 in the penultimate match-up of the Big Ten season.