Feb. 22, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The 49th-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team snapped a three-match losing skid with a 4-3 win over No. 45 Drake Saturday night at the Baseline Tennis Center. The Gophers, who had lost three consecutive matches by 4-3 scores entering the evening, improved to 5-5 on the season with the win.
The Bulldogs were the third ranked opponent Minnesota has beaten this season, upping the Maroon and Gold’s record to 3-3 against ranked foes in 2013.
Drake grabbed an inside edge in doubles when Alen Salibasic and Ben Mullis topped Leandro Toledo, 8-4, at No. 2. Minnesota rallied, however, to take the 1-0 lead.
No. 23-ranked Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment evened the competition by grinding out a 8-7 (2) over Ben Lott and Robin Goodman and Franz Sydow and Juan Pablo Ramirez erased a 6-3 deficit to earn a win by the same score to clinch the match’s first point.
Toledo dropped to 7-3 at No. 1 singles by dropping a two-set decision to Salibasic, but the Gophers recovered to re-take the lead with Hamburg’s sixth consecutive victory at the No. 3 spot, 6-2, 6-2.
Eric Frueh widened the gap with a 6-0, 6-4 win in the fifth position, but the Bulldogs bounced back with a Patel victory over Ramirez at No. 5. Ruben Weber sealed the team victory at No. 2, winning his third set 6-3 after exchanging set wins with Lott.
DU’s Matt Frost capped the match with a super tiebreaker win against Froment.
Minnesota returns to action next Saturday at 1 p.m. in their second Big Ten match when Border Battle rival Wisconsin visits the Baseline Tennis Center.
No. 49 Minnesota 4, No. 45 Drake 3
February 22, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. Alen Salibasic (DRAKE) def. No. 80 Leandro Toledo (MINN) 6-4, 6-0
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Ben Lott (DRAKE) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Robin Goodman (DRAKE) 6-2, 6-2
4. Matt Frost (DRAKE) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Rakshit Patel (DRAKE) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-1
6. Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Ben Mullis (DRAKE) 6-0, 6-4
1. No. 23 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Robin Goodman/Ben Lott (DRAKE) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Alen Salibasic/Ben Mullis (DRAKE) def. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) 8-4
3. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) def. Ravi Patel/Matt Frost (DRAKE) 8-7 (7-2)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,6,5,2,4)
Gophers Fall to Ohio State in B1G Tournament
The No. 38-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team fell 4-0 to the No. 2-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes on Friday morning.
Gophers Defeat Hoosiers to Open B1G Tournament
The No. 38-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team earned a 4-2 victory over Indiana in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament.
Gophers Set for Big Ten Tournament
The No. 38-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team will begin their postseason run this Thursday in the Big Ten Tournament.