Feb. 22, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The 49th-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team snapped a three-match losing skid with a 4-3 win over No. 45 Drake Saturday night at the Baseline Tennis Center. The Gophers, who had lost three consecutive matches by 4-3 scores entering the evening, improved to 5-5 on the season with the win.
The Bulldogs were the third ranked opponent Minnesota has beaten this season, upping the Maroon and Gold’s record to 3-3 against ranked foes in 2013.
Drake grabbed an inside edge in doubles when Alen Salibasic and Ben Mullis topped Leandro Toledo, 8-4, at No. 2. Minnesota rallied, however, to take the 1-0 lead.
No. 23-ranked Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment evened the competition by grinding out a 8-7 (2) over Ben Lott and Robin Goodman and Franz Sydow and Juan Pablo Ramirez erased a 6-3 deficit to earn a win by the same score to clinch the match’s first point.
Toledo dropped to 7-3 at No. 1 singles by dropping a two-set decision to Salibasic, but the Gophers recovered to re-take the lead with Hamburg’s sixth consecutive victory at the No. 3 spot, 6-2, 6-2.
Eric Frueh widened the gap with a 6-0, 6-4 win in the fifth position, but the Bulldogs bounced back with a Patel victory over Ramirez at No. 5. Ruben Weber sealed the team victory at No. 2, winning his third set 6-3 after exchanging set wins with Lott.
DU’s Matt Frost capped the match with a super tiebreaker win against Froment.
Minnesota returns to action next Saturday at 1 p.m. in their second Big Ten match when Border Battle rival Wisconsin visits the Baseline Tennis Center.
No. 49 Minnesota 4, No. 45 Drake 3
February 22, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. Alen Salibasic (DRAKE) def. No. 80 Leandro Toledo (MINN) 6-4, 6-0
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Ben Lott (DRAKE) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Robin Goodman (DRAKE) 6-2, 6-2
4. Matt Frost (DRAKE) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Rakshit Patel (DRAKE) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-1
6. Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Ben Mullis (DRAKE) 6-0, 6-4
1. No. 23 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Robin Goodman/Ben Lott (DRAKE) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Alen Salibasic/Ben Mullis (DRAKE) def. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) 8-4
3. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) def. Ravi Patel/Matt Frost (DRAKE) 8-7 (7-2)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,6,5,2,4)
Weber Finishes Second at Lakewood
Ruben Weber finished second at Lakewood while Matic Spec and Felix Corwin picked up a consolation win in doubles at the NIIC.
Gophers Closing Out Fall Season
Felix Corwin and Matic Spec are heading to the NIIC to compete in doubles while four other Gophers wrap up their season at Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
Alpeza Has Strong Tournament
Marino Alpeza won a doubles match and picked up two singles wins at the Big Ten Indoor Championships this weekend.