Feb. 22, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The 49th-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team snapped a three-match losing skid with a 4-3 win over No. 45 Drake Saturday night at the Baseline Tennis Center. The Gophers, who had lost three consecutive matches by 4-3 scores entering the evening, improved to 5-5 on the season with the win.
The Bulldogs were the third ranked opponent Minnesota has beaten this season, upping the Maroon and Gold’s record to 3-3 against ranked foes in 2013.
Drake grabbed an inside edge in doubles when Alen Salibasic and Ben Mullis topped Leandro Toledo, 8-4, at No. 2. Minnesota rallied, however, to take the 1-0 lead.
No. 23-ranked Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment evened the competition by grinding out a 8-7 (2) over Ben Lott and Robin Goodman and Franz Sydow and Juan Pablo Ramirez erased a 6-3 deficit to earn a win by the same score to clinch the match’s first point.
Toledo dropped to 7-3 at No. 1 singles by dropping a two-set decision to Salibasic, but the Gophers recovered to re-take the lead with Hamburg’s sixth consecutive victory at the No. 3 spot, 6-2, 6-2.
Eric Frueh widened the gap with a 6-0, 6-4 win in the fifth position, but the Bulldogs bounced back with a Patel victory over Ramirez at No. 5. Ruben Weber sealed the team victory at No. 2, winning his third set 6-3 after exchanging set wins with Lott.
DU’s Matt Frost capped the match with a super tiebreaker win against Froment.
Minnesota returns to action next Saturday at 1 p.m. in their second Big Ten match when Border Battle rival Wisconsin visits the Baseline Tennis Center.
No. 49 Minnesota 4, No. 45 Drake 3
February 22, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. Alen Salibasic (DRAKE) def. No. 80 Leandro Toledo (MINN) 6-4, 6-0
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Ben Lott (DRAKE) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Robin Goodman (DRAKE) 6-2, 6-2
4. Matt Frost (DRAKE) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Rakshit Patel (DRAKE) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-1
6. Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Ben Mullis (DRAKE) 6-0, 6-4
1. No. 23 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Robin Goodman/Ben Lott (DRAKE) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Alen Salibasic/Ben Mullis (DRAKE) def. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) 8-4
3. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) def. Ravi Patel/Matt Frost (DRAKE) 8-7 (7-2)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,6,5,2,4)
Gophers Return to B1G Play with 4-3 Win
3/23/2018 - M. Tennis
The Gophers returned to Big Ten play and won its seventh dual in its last eight outings, defeating Iowa 4-3.
Gophers (Finally) Back at Baseline Sunday
3/22/2018 - M. Tennis
The Gophers return to Big Ten play this weekend, heading out on the road Friday to face Iowa before returning to host Nebraska Sunday.
UCF Snaps Gophers' Winning Streak at Six
3/14/2018 - M. Tennis
The Gophers saw their six-dual winning streak snapped as the team fell 4-2 against UCF at on Wednesday evening.